Twitter is a funny old thing. Not everyone can “get it”. For those lucky people that do, it can be a powerful and wonderful thing for you.
This post is part of the community blogging event #meme15 created by Jason Strate (Blog|Twitter), designed to encourage sql bloggers to write about blogging a.k.a Meta Blogging and Social Media. Why not join in and share your story?
Your relationship with Twitter is personal and unique to you. It can be many different things to so many different people. It really is what you make of it.
Some people just don’t get what all the fuss is about. They just can’t see the value in it for them. That’s because they themselves have yet to give anything to the community. They’re just looking to see what they can take from it and are probably asking themselves “What can Twitter do for me?”. If you give nothing, you can expect nothing in return.
For those that are genuinely open to what Twitter can be and are prepared to give a little of themselves at the same time, good for you, I think you’ll find just what it is that you are looking for.
Here are some of things that Twitter is to me:
- A way to connect with people, to build new and exciting relationships.
- A hive mind of learning, “the collective”. The processing power of many are able to work, collaborate and share thoughts on the same subject or problem. (#SQLHelp)
- What’s the most talked about thing in the world, your town, your community right now? You can keep your finger on the pulse at whatever scale you choose using Trending topics.
- An opportunity to be a part of communities that can be both niche and global.
- A platform to share, to help others to learn and grow.
- The ability to connect with these communities from almost anywhere in the world and at any time.
Not sure how to get started using Twitter? Fellow SQL Server Data Professional and prolific blogger Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter) wrote an entire eBook(The Simple Twitter Book) on the subject that you may want to check out.
I’d love to hear about your thoughts and views on Twitter. What is Twitter for you?