How to learn about SQL Server Replication
SQL Server Replication is a set of technologies for copying and distributing data and database objects. The single best resource to begin learning about SQL Server replication is from the relevant technology support documentation available in SQL Server Books Online.
Replication is certainly one of the more difficult technology areas to both study and master. Developing an overall understanding and familiarity of the basic features and different implementations is relatively simple enough, what is trickier to develop however is an understanding of the mechanics (or internals) of Replication and experience of how to manage large scale replication topologies, without having hands on access to these types of environments.
Below you will find a variety of knowledge resources focused on SQL Server Replication. One of the best methods to learn about the nuances of Replication is via those that have experienced them first hand, such as SQL Server Bloggers and the Microsoft SQLCAT team, both of which you can find below.
SQL Server Replication Resources
SQL Server Replication focused Blogs and Bloggers
These bloggers are very well versed in SQL Server replication technologies and I recommend that you subscribe to their feeds.
One of the best methods for learning about replication, and SQL Server in general for that matter, is by frequenting
Want to know more about these excellent resources and others, check out my Top 5 SQL Server Forums.
- High Availability with SQL Server 2008 – Provides a good overview of transactional and peer-to-peer replication.
- SQL Server Replication: Providing High Availability using Database Mirroring
- Proven SQL Server Architectures for High Availability and Disaster Recovery
- #SqlHelp – Post a question on Twitter that includes the #sqlHelp hashtag and you will be submitting your question to a pool of SQL Server experts from around the globe. See what others are asking about on Twitter right now.
- MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-432): Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Implementation And Maintenance – Although not a title purely focused on Replication, the relevant content does cover the basic concepts of the technology, as well as providing walk-throughs that demonstrate how to create and deploy the various flavours of basic replicated solutions.
- Identity column management within a replicated solution