I hope you’ve had a great week.
Here’s this weeks roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- Benchmarking: 1-TB table population (part 3: separating data and log files) – Here’s the next instalment in this excellent series from Paul Randal.
- How to Make SQL Server Backups and Restores Faster – No nonsense, effective tips that you can put into action right now, delivered in person from Brent Ozar via the wonder that is YouTube.
- Playing With SQL Azure Data Synch – Here’s a nice walk-through by example, from Glenn Berry, for this new SQL Server technology.
- Testing New Features in SQL Azure Service Update 1 – Part Deux of the Azure from SQL Server MVP Glenn Berry.
- SSIS 2008 Script Component variable gotcha.. – Mixing things up a little here from the typical DBA links with a nice SSIS tip courtesy of Josef Richberg.
- Another way to access variables in SSIS 2008 Script Component – Follow on blog post again, from Josef Richberg.
- More images from the Spatial Results tab – Who said working with SQL Server is not art…..
- NOT EXISTS vs NOT IN – What to use and when? Which is better? SQL Server MVP Gail Shaw explains all.
- Understanding SQL server memory grant – Very nice technically detailed article here from the SQL Server Query Processing team.
- Restarting the SQL Server Service Account – Why? – How do you go about managing this security maintenance task?
- Code that Writes Code – A Good Idea or Not? – Not if it’s NHibernate. I feel the authors pain on this one.
- Did you start your SQL Server Engine correctly? – Very important advice here from the CSS SQL Server Engineers Team on how to ensure you configure SQL Server start-up parameters correctly. If you have not done this yourself before then read this post as it provides details of some of the common gotchas.
- What the difference between Microsoft Mainstream and Extended Support? – No idea but I intend to find out! It’s important for a DBA to be aware of the varying levels of support available in order to be in the best position to effectively manage our environments.
MVP Summit Week
- 2010 MVP Summit Held This Week – Find out what the SQL Server MVP’s got up to this week at the Summit.
- MVP Summit Impressions From Day 1 – See what SQL Server MVP Glenn Berry had to say.
- MVP Party Time – I wonder if the Oracle DBA’s can sing just as good….