I hope you’ve had a great week!
Make sure you don’t miss out on posts by Subscribing to the Blog Feed. You can also receive this Blog feed via Email.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- Benchmarking: Introducing SSDs (Part 2: sequential inserts) – Here’s Part 2 of this excellent benchmarking series from Paul Randal. What I want to know is what are the life expectancy of these SSD’s?
- Using “Verbose history agent profile.” while troubleshooting Replication – I’m always getting my hands dirty with Replication and any pointers on troubleshooting are very welcome indeed. Here’s some great advice from Microsoft Replication blog team.
- Top ten mistakes to make when attending a class – Thinking of attending a SQL Server class? Here’s what not to do when you’re there.
- Sampling can produce less accurate statistics if the data is not evenly distributed – An interesting customer case working with statistics here from the Microsoft CSS Team.
- Ors belong in Boats, Not Where Clauses – A nice real world example from Jim McLeod that shows how using Dynamic SQL can in the right circumstance provide superior performing solution.
- The Future of Databases – Brilliant article from Jeremiah Peschka. Very well written, detailed and thought provoking.
- I CAN HAZ JOB – A non technical post but instead a great piece of SQL Server community inspiration. Oh and congratulations Tim!
- Why is my SQL Clustered Instance changing authentication modes? – Very interesting walk through detailing how the Microsoft CSS team solved this customers case. Provides a nice insight into some interesting internals to SQL Clustering.
- How Can I Quickly Script Out Replication? – I’m always on the look out for ways to save time and that’s why I love PowerShell. Check out this handy tip from David Levy.
- Side-By-Side Installations – What gets changed? – Buck Woody reveals all.
SQL Server Upcoming Events
- SQLCruise – 2nd August
- UK SQL Server Usergroups
- Leeds – July 20th – AGI Northern Group meeting: Using geospatial data in the Microsoft world.
- Manchester – 5th August – Introduction to the Service Broker with Anthony Brown and Creating compelling reports with SQL Server 2008.
- Kent – 18th August – This is a new SQL Server Usergroup.
- Leeds – 15th September – Using XML data in SQL Server with Anthony Brown, and Martin Bell explores change management in SQL Server 2008 and Iain Kicks from Quest Software.
- Manchester – 16th September – Agenda to be confirmed
- SQLBits 7 – 30th September – 2nd October – The Seven Wonders of SQL.
- Keeping up with PASS – Useful links for keeping up with all the PASS community events, collated by BradMcGehee.
Misc Technology News
Stuck for ideas what to do this weekend? I’m off to see the new movie Inception. The trailer looks awesome!