I hope you’ve had a great week!
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- Using a UDF as a SARG. Make a hash of it! – Query optimization post.
- One Size Mostly Fits All – Thom LaRock talks fashion and general purpose database servers.
- Comparing the Performance of Different String Data Types in SQL Server 2008 R2 – An excellent walk-through by example here from Glenn Berry
- Linked Server Query Running Slow? – Here’s an account of a recent problem and it’s solution courtesy of Mike Walsh.
- Why doesn’t SQL Server use statistics and index on this computed column? – This weeks instalment from the SQL Server Customer Service and Support (CSS) Engineers.
- The Effects of Dropping a Database on the Proc Cache – Find out here with Jim McLeod.
- Bug in SQL 2008: Why you shouldn’t create large tables in the Model Database – Discussed by Jonathan Kehayias.
- SQL SERVER – View XML Query Plans in SSMS as Graphical Execution Plan – Great tip here from Pinal Dave. It’s simple but often overlooked.
- Are we there yet? – Here is a professional development/motivational piece from Janice Lee who is a relatively new blogger on the scene that has caught my attention with some great content.
SQL Server Upcoming Events
- SQLCruise – 2nd August
- UK SQL Server Usergroups
- London – 14th July – SQL Server and Disk IO (File Groups/Files, SSD’s, Fusion-IO, In-RAM DB’s, Fragmentation)
- Leeds – July 20th – AGI Northern Group meeting: Using geospatial data in the Microsoft world.
- Manchester – 5th August – Introduction to the Service Broker with Anthony Brown and Creating compelling reports with SQL Server 2008.
- Kent – 18th August – This is a new SQL Server Usergroup.
- Leeds – 15th September – Using XML data in SQL Server with Anthony Brown, and Martin Bell explores change management in SQL Server 2008 and Iain Kicks from Quest Software.
- SQLBits 7 – 30th September – 2nd October – The Seven Wonders of SQL.
- Keeping up with PASS – Useful links for keeping up with all the PASS community events, collated by BradMcGehee.
Misc Technology News
- Google’s Street View ‘snoops’ on Congress members
- Solar-powered plane lands safely after 26-hour flight
- Android slurps market share from Apple, RIM, Microsoft
That’s it for this week. If I’ve missed anything that you think deserves a mention this week then be sure to let me know! Leave a comment below, send me an email or message me on Twitter(@JohnSansom).
Make sure you don’t miss out on posts by Subscribing to the Blog Feed. You can also receive this Blog feed via Email.