I hope you’ve had a great week!
Here’s this weeks roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- Tuning SQL Server Transactions – and Meetings – Using a similar problem solving approach for hosting meetings and tuning transactions.
- The root of all Evil – I know this pain all too well. Gail Shaw describes how being over zealous with performance optimization can ironically do the exact opposite.
- An Introduction to Data Compression in SQL Server 2008 – New Free eBook written by and courtesy of Brad McGehee.
- This Article on Recursion is Entitled – An in depth look at the inner workings of CTE’s provided with narrative by Brad Schulz.
- How to Easily Log SQL Server 2008 Instance Level Metrics – This man seems to be on fire at the moment and is producing a tonne of great content regularly. It’s none other then Glenn Berry of course.
- Inside sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats – A look at the internals of this DMV from Paul Randal.
- Enabling Partition Level Locking in SQL Server 2008 – Here’s a quick tip from the SQLCAT Team.
- Easy Ways to Detect I/O Pressure in SQL Server 2008 – Here’s another great post from Glenn Berry.
- I/O Operations, Arguably the Only Performance Metric You Need – It’s that Database Whisperer chap again, Michael J Swart discusses.
- System Variables, Stored Procedures or Functions for Meta Data – A very handy list of SQL Server Meta data resources collated here by Buck Woody for your reference.
PASS Community Banter
- The PASS Summit Location Survey Results – Analysis of the results, Brent Ozar shares his take on things.
- PASS Summit Location follow up – result analysis – With their thoughts on the matter, Simon Sabin also had something to say about all of this.
- Why I voted for Seattle – In response to all the community chatter, PASS Board member Thomas Larock explains why he voted Seattle. I’ve got a lot of respect for Tom here for “saying it like it is”.
SQL Server Upcoming Events
- SQL Bits – 16th April 2010
- PASS European Conference – 21-23rd April 2010
- Keeping up with PASS – Useful links for keeping up with all the PASS community events, collated by Brad McGehee.
That’s it for this week. If I’ve missed anything that you think deserves a mention this week then be sure to let me know! Send me an email or contact me on Twitter.