It’s Something For The Weekend(SFTW) time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
The PASS Summit may now be behind us but there’s still plenty of great opportunities to learn about SQL Server. Make sure you enter my giveaway this week for a chance to win a Free conference Pass to SQL Server Live in Orlando.
Have you heard about the brilliant new book Tribal SQL? It’s a marvelous concept brought to life by those rather clever folks TheMidnightDBAs. The book introduces us to 15 new authors who are all established Data Professionals, sharing their experiences about what it means to be a DBA. It covers not only the core technical responsibilities of the DBA role but also those all important soft-skills that are so vital to success in the modern world of work. I’m confident that this title will become essential reading for those aspiring to become an exceptional DBA.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
SQL Server Links
- SQLCAT.Com – eBook Downloads – Knowledge is power chaps. Go get some now for free courtesy of Microsoft SQLCAT (Blog).
- Frequently Asked Questions About TempDB – The TempDB is a contentious and often misunderstood part of SQL Server. Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter) shares this FAQ jam packed full of TempDB insights.
- Solving Session State Slowndowns(video) – Broaden your technical prowess outside the immediate DBA realm with this video and your host Jeremiah Peschka (Blog|Twitter).
- Extended Events Usage Survey – Are you using XEvents yet? No? You’re not the only one it would seem. Here Erin Stellato (Blog|Twitter) conducts a survey on this features uptake. Be sure to check out the interesting comments.
- CPU-Z Version 1.67 is Available – Details on the latest update to this handy DBA utlity, with Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter).
- PASS Summit 2013 Wrap-Up – A Summit experience summary from Bob Pusateri (Blog|Twitter) that conveys the SQL community spirit rather nicely.
- SQL Connection Pool Timeout Debugging – CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog)
- Index Hints: Helpful or Harmful? – Jes Borland (Blog|Twitter) on why you should exercise caution when playing with Index Hints.
- Maximizing Throughput with TVP – An intriguing niche performance tuning case shared by Microsoft SQLCAT (Blog).
- Corruption Monday #1 – Don’t Panic! – Put your DBA skills to the test with these corruption scenarios from Sean Gallardy(Blog|Twitter).
Misc. Technology Posts from Around the Web
- Why Are Girls Not Pursuing Computer Science Degrees? – Edudemic
- What’s in My Laptop Bag Fall 2013 – Brent Ozar
- Why Your Performance Review Sucks – Thomas LaRock
- You Don’t Need Millions of Dollars – Coding Horror
- Apple shows off thinner iPad Air and retina iPad Mini – BBC News Technology
SQL Community Forum
Bbeing discussed right now in the SQLBrit Community Forum by DBAs.
- How Do You Find Your Next SQL Server Job? – Data Pros share their tips and tricks for finding that ellusive perfect role.
- SQL Server Clustering – Survey on how your community chums are using clustering. Mine’s bigger than yours.
Have you read a great post or article that others might enjoy? We’d all love to know about it so please feel free to share it in the comments and on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
If you enjoyed this weeks round-up of SQL content the best way to show your support is by sharing it.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!