I hope you’ve had a great week!
Make sure you don’t miss out on posts by Subscribing to the Blog Feed.
You can also receive this Blog feed via Email. Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- What Did I Do? – Introducing Matt Velic. This stirred up some great commentary and feedback, so what’s it all about? I will let his fantastic VLog do the talking….
- Talking Is Good, Where Can I Do More? – Here’s a great list of places that you can flex your SQL Server speaking muscles, courtesy of Jeremiah Peschka, the guy just loves to talk.
- What Do You Think Just Happened To This Database Server? – Brilliant article from Glenn Berry that details how to minimize your server downtime when applying Service Packs/Cumulative Updates by using SQL Server Database Mirroring technology.
- A Little Help with Azure Please – It seems like I’m not the only Data Professional that seeks SQL Azure enlightenment. Great questions raised here, perhaps you can help?
- How to monitor the Health of SQL Server Replication – I have to say that I just love this Blog. I work with SQL Replication an awful lot and these guys have provided me with some really valuable insight. Keep it up the great work chaps!
- The Power of Reporting Services – Caching – Something for all you budding SQL BI (that’s Business Intelligence by the way) students, brought to you by running fanatic, master chef in the making and SQL DBA extraordinaire Jess Borland.
- T-SQL Tuesday #10 Round up, An index of participants – Following from last weeks T-SQL Tuesday challenge, MJ Swart provides a great round-up of all submissions here.
- OK – Your Browser Runs an Azure App – So What? – More Azure? Yes please! Buck Woody shares with us.
- Today’s Powershell Fun – PowerShell is an awesome tool for the DBA arsenal and one that I am only just starting to get my hands dirty with. Here’s an excellent tip from Sean McCown on how to simplify and automate your SQL Server installations using PowerShell.
- Three Things to Watch with NoSQL – His second entry on the Blog round-up this week, Jeremiah Peschka educates us in the Dark Side of the force.
- Breaking into SQL Showbiz – Is all the glitz and glamour surrounding SQL Server the community calling you out to do greater things, to perform? Me neither :-) but just in case you’ve been thinking about launching your showbiz career, here’s an awesome post from Jen McCown offering the encouragement you need to kick start your way to stardom.
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
- SQLBits 7 – 30th September – 2nd October – The Seven Wonders of SQL. This event has now over 600 registrations!
UK SQL Server Usergroups
- Cardiff – TONIGHT! – 23rd Septemeber – Chris Testa O’Neill will be creating a cube with SSAS, Ian Archibald from Attunity demonstrating their CDC products.
- Edinburgh – 7th October – Implementing Hierarchies using TSQL and the HierarchyId type and understanding aggregation problems (Tony Rogerson); TBD (Allan Mitchell).
- Leeds – 27th October – User group evening with Martin Bell and SQL Server and Virtualisation with Mike Kiersey.
- Manchester – 28th October – SQL Server Replication with Neil Hambly and Martin Bell explores change management in SQL Server 2008.
Keeping up with PASS – Useful links for keeping up with all the PASS community events, collated by BradMcGehee.
Misc Technology Posts
- Top 10 ‘unanswerable’ questions revealed – “Is my code really that bad?” was not on the list, go figure…..
- Facebook blames outage on internal config flaw
That’s it for this week. If I’ve missed anything that you think deserves a mention then be sure to let me know! As always, you can leave your comments below, send me an email or find me on Twitter(@JohnSansom).