It’s Something For The Weekend(SFTW) time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Regular readers know that I do like a good bit of cake and I’ll often share a marvelous British cake recipe on the blog. That’s right, all those cake images in previous SFTW posts actually click through to their recipes. No cake pictures this week though chaps, it’s even better than that! The new series of The Great British Bake Off is back on our screens. “On your marks, get set, bake!”.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
SQL Server Links
- SSD RAID Load Testing Results from a Dell PowerEdge R720 – A brilliant post from Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter) this week, sharing some real world consulting action and insights. Be sure to read the comments too.
- Incorrect Results Caused By Adding an Index – This bug is a surprise even to Paul White (Blog|Twitter). We all knew it was there though eh chaps.
- More than half of all SQL Server instances are out-of-date and unsupported! – I’m not worried, are you? Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter) shares what the wider SQL Server prod landscape probably looks like.
- Correlating XE query_hash and query_plan_hash – Masters of the unnecessarily long post title (I’ve cut it down) those clever folks from the SQL Server PFE Blog (Blog) demonstrate the power of Extended Events.
- Success in the Cloud – “If your company is like 95% of companies out there, the cloud is really a synonym for Amazon Web Services (AWS)”. – Jeremiah Peschka (Blog|Twitter)
- New Versions of Useful Tools for SQL Server – Useful administrator tool updates, with Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter).
- A Tuning Technique For Parallel Queries – A clever technique for query tuning courtesy of Michael J. Swart (Blog|Twitter). Simple and effective.
- Ultimate query tuning – An excellent use case for Filtered Indexes from Rob Farley (Blog|Twitter).
- Service status watcher in SQL Server Management Studio – How it works – A more detailed looks at the SSMS Service status watcher, with the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog).
- The Stages of Performance Tuning – A wonderful look at the growth stages of a performance tuner, courtesy of Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter). Which stage are you at?
SQL Community Forum
These are just some of the hot topics being discussed right now in the SQLBrit Community Forum by ambitious Data Pros just like you. Join the conversation.
- Go beyond finding the problem
- how much time you spend to self-improvement?
- Leadership Through Service
- Considering switching job
Misc. Technology Posts
- The Blogger is not the Devil – Brent Ozar
- Makerbot Digitizer: Desktop 3D scanner goes on sale – BBC News Technology
- Yahoo! web! traffic! BIGGER! THAN! GOOGLE! in! July! – TheRegister
- The city of 2050 – BBC News Technology
- The Worry That You’re Doing the Wrong Thing Right Now – Zenhabits.net
- Amazon.com website goes offline – BBC News Technology
Have you read a great post or article that others might enjoy? We’d all love to know about it so please feel free to share it in the comments and on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
If you enjoyed this weeks round-up of SQL content the best way to show your support is by sharing it.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!