I hope you’ve had a great week!
Just to give you a heads up that this could be the last SFTW post this year, what with all the Christmas slacking going on. In all seriousness make sure you invest in yourself and schedule some down time. Take the time to recharge so that you are fresh and ready to rock in the New Year. It’s been emotional, have a great break and I will see you on the other side, cheers!
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- SQL Server 2008 Diagnostic Information Queries (Dec 2010) – Here’s the latest version of the awesome Diagnostic Information Queries courtesy of SQL Server MVP Glenn Berry.
- Can You Dig It? – Missing Indexes – A fantastic post that looks at an alternative and powerful method of identifying missing indexes. I’m willing to bet that the majority of you are either not using this method or not even aware of it.
- Life/Work Balance – A competition from Grant Fritchey and those generous folk at redgate, giving you the chance to win an iPad. Nice! Between you and me, there are another two competitions out there in the SQL Blogsphere this week, just remember you can only enter the one.
- Server Side Paging in SQL Server 2011 – A Better Alternative – At last, I hear the Developers cry. Pinal Dave introduces this new T-SQL method, available in SQL Server 2011 Denali, to solving a common problem.
- Change Service Account Password | The specified network password is not correct – A nice real world support case here from Pradeep Adiga.
- Do IF statements cause recompiles? – Well do they? Find out in another excellent walk through by example post from Gail Shaw, back on top Blogging form.
- AlwaysON – HADRON Learning Series – New DMVs – More SQL Server 2011 Denali first looks from those clever chaps the CSS SQL Server Engineers.
- T-SQL Tuesday #13 – What the Business Says Is Not What the Business Wants – This is my favourite post, other than my own of course, from this months T-SQL Tuesday theme. An excellent contribution from Jeremiah Peschka.
- Disposable Indexes – Taking out the trash it’s SQLFool Michelle Ufford.
- AlwaysON – HADRON Learning Series – Running DBCC On A Secondary – Yet more from the the CSS SQL Server Engineers.
- An XEvent a Day (16 of 31) – How Many Checkpoints are Issued During a Full Backup? – A very interesting look at CHECKPOINT events during a FULL database backup, from The Rambling DBA (no kidding) Jonathan Kehayias.
- Understanding Hyper-V Virtual Machine (VM) Failover Policies – I like making sure that the platforms I am responsible for are always available (well at least as much as possible) and so it’s important for me to understand as much as I can about the subject of High Availability from the Failover Clustering and Network Load Balancing Team Blog.
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
Don’t forget it’s party time tonight!
- London: SQLFAQ 2010 Festive Soirée (Buffet & Dance) – Friday 17th December – This should be quite simply, brilliant.
- LEEDS – Wed 19 Jan – Chris Burns and the Resource Governor and Policy Based Management with Chris Testa-O’Neill
- MANCHESTER – Thu 20 Jan – User Group meeting with Tony Rogerson
Provisional Dates for your Diary
- MANCHESTER – Wed 2 Mar
- LEEDS – Thu 3 Mar
- LEEDS – Wed 11 May
- MANCHESTER – Thu 12 May
- MANCHESTER – Wed 15 Jun
- LEEDS – Thu 16 Jun
- LEEDS – Wed 20 Jul
- MANCHESTER – Thu 21 Jul
Misc Technology Posts
That’s it for this week. What was your favourite post? If I’ve missed anything that you think deserves a mention then be sure to let me know! You can leave your comments below, send me an email and find me on Twitter(@JohnSansom).