I hope you’ve had a great week!
It’s SQL In The City today right here in London town and I’m feeling well and truly gutted that I cannot be there to enjoy what will no doubt be a fantastic SQL community event in my home town. Those generous folks from RedGate will be putting on a second SQL In The City event later in the year, this time to be held in Los Angeles, so if that’s in your neck of the woods be sure to get involved.
Three of our very own UK SQL Server speakers [Neil Hambly(Blog|Twitter), Jen Stirrup (Blog|Twitter) and Chris Webb(Blog|Twitter)] need your support in their bid to present at the PASS Summit this year. These guys do an incredible amount for the SQL community here in the UK and in my view they thoroughly deserve the opportunity to speak at PASS. You can give them your support by voting for them in the Community Choice sessions!
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- Creating A Clustered SQL Install ini File Using PowerShell–Part 1 – Everyone knows that the Best DBAs Automate Everything and this week Nicholas Cain (Blog|Twitter) shows us how through the magic of PoweShell.
- Capturing wait stats for a single operation – Those of you who have done wait stats analysis will know that using the DMVs in this case will just not cut it. Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter) shows you how you can hone in on the wait stats for a single query by using Extended Events.
- ARITHABORT and XACT_ABORT: Which One Do I Want to Use? – It’s all in the detail this week from Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter).
- How to Set Up SQL Server Denali Availability Groups – A sneak peak at some of the magic we have to look forward to in SQL Server Denali, courtesy of Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter).
- Learning From the Mistakes of Other DBAs – There’s a saying that the most experienced folks have just made more mistakes than the rest of us. Building up your experience the easier way this week, Brad McGehee (Blog|Twitter) shares some DBA battle stories.
- Should I learn Cloud Computing Next? – I know that I’ve asked myself this very same question. Here with the answer, it’s Buck Woody (Blog|Twitter).
- CTP3 is Here! Five Things to Know About the Next Version of SQL Server – Yet more Denali excitement from Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter).
- Leaving the Windows Open – Something for the DB DEVs this week from Jeremiah Peschka (Blog|Twitter), including a look at some new Denali T-SQL statistical functions.
- Calculate Rows Inserted Per Second for All Tables – A very handy T-SQL script from Michelle Ufford(Blog|Twitter) that provides a means to validate whether or not Insert activity occurs during a specific interval.
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
- LEEDS – Wed 20 Jul – Leeds UG meeting with Steve Powell
- LONDON – Wed 20 Jul – User Group Meeting with Neil Hambly, Alex Whittles, Avanade
- MANCHESTER – Thu 21 Jul – Manchester UG meeting at BSS with Jen Stirrup and Nicholas Colebourn
- EXETER – Thur 21 Jul – Christian Bolton MCA/MCM/MVP presenting at South West SQL User Group
- BRISTOL – Thur 21 Jul – SQL Server Club User Group with James Rowland-Jones
Misc Technology Posts
- Mobile ‘pinging’ claim raises legal questions
- Mozilla outs un-Google site sign-in prototype
- Musical gloves kick off TEDGlobal tech conference
That’s it for this week. What was your favourite post? If I’ve missed anything that you think deserves a mention then be sure to let me know! You can leave your comments below, send me an email and find me on Twitter(@JohnSansom).