It’s Something For The Weekend(SFTW) time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
What an incredibly week it has been chaps. Our free SQL community ebook DBA JumpStart has been downloaded and enjoyed by over 700 of you in a matter of days. That is quite simply awesome. I’m astounded by the overwhelming positive reaction that the ebook has received and I want to thank you all for your support. It was a real privilege to be able to deliver this SQL community project to you. I wonder what we might come up with next……
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
SQL Server Links
- Bags and Shelves – You can’t sell an established Data Professional on the benefits of emerging Data Technology, they have to discover it for themselves. Mike Fal (Blog|Twitter) discusses.
- Never an Infinite Loop Around When You Need One – An interesting piece of T-SQL wizardry from Robert L. Davis(Blog|Twitter).
- What is Your MacGuffin? – Getting to the heart of what’s really important with Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter).
- Waiting, waiting… – The perception of time and what we’re really waiting on, with Rob Farley (Blog|Twitter).
- SQL Server 2014 Backup to URL – An eye opening look at the simplicity of backing up to a remote location, courtesy of Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter).
- SQL Server 2014 Diagnostic Information Queries – Here with the latest update to his renowned query set, its Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter).
- My Go-To Query For Waiting Tasks – Find out what a SQL Server MCM uses to get right down to the WAIT types that really matter, its Robert L. Davis(Blog|Twitter).
- AlwaysOn Availability Groups, Backup Checksums, and Corruption – Is CHECKSUM really working for your compressed backups? Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter) investigates.
- Doing It Wrong: High Availability And Security – A recent observation of doing it wrong in action, courtesy of Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter).
- Keep it Constrained– Taking control of the Universe with Jeremiah Peschka (Blog|Twitter).
- Spatial Index is NOT used when SUBQUERY used – More real world customer support cases with the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog).
- The Four Answers To “How Big Is Your SQL Server?” – Sizing it up with the big man, its Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter).
SQL Community Forum
Being discussed right now in the SQLBrit Community Forum by DBAs.
- How to find the low hanging fruit
- how much time you guys spend to self-improvement
- Deployment Strategies
- Documentation and Collaboration
Misc. Technology Posts from Around the Web
- How I Got Over Google Reader and Learned to Love Newsblur – Kendra Little
- Aldi ‘low-cost’ tablet sells out – BBC News Technology
- China’s supercomputing whizzkids – TheRegister
- The 12 cyber-scams of Christmas – BBC News Technology
- iPad bouncy chair lets APPLE BABYSIT tots – parents – TheRegister
Have you read a great post or article that others might enjoy? We’d all love to know about it so please feel free to share it in the comments and on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
If you enjoyed this weeks round-up of SQL content the best way to show your support is by sharing it.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!