I hope you’ve had a great week!
Make sure you don’t miss out on posts by Subscribing to the Blog Feed. You can also receive this Blog feed via Email.
The PASS nominations process got under way this week. All the recent shenanigans aside, make sure you don’t forget to vote! This is your chance to have your say on who you feel can best represent your interests within PASS.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- How Old Are Your Database Statistics? – Some handy T-SQL query scripts her from Glenn Berry.
- Replication Gotcha – Including An Article In Multiple Publications – Another post here from the guru of SQL Server Replication Kendal Van Dyke.
- Plan cache monitoring – insert and remove – An excellent technical walk-through by Gail Shaw.
- Interview with the Intrepid Buck Woody – An interview with the legend that is Buck Woody (@buckwoody) brought to you by Brad McGehee.
- Optimizing CREATE SET in Cube Calculation Scripts – Excellent article here from the clever chaps in the Microsoft SQL Server Development Customer Advisory Team.
- So you want to go to a conference, but you are afraid that you don’t know anyone there – What with SQLBits and the PASS Summit just around the corner, here’s some advice from Denny Cherry.
- Inside the Optimizer: Plan Costing – Another great post from Paul White, this time providing a detailed look at costing, and more undocumented optimizer fun.
- SQL Server Types – Numeric vs Int – Excellent investigative database design themed post.
- Sorting, Row Goals, and the TOP 100 Problem – This weeks second contribution of awesomeness from Paul White.
- SQL SERVER – Soft Delete – IsDelete Column – Your Opinion – Pinal Dave gives his thoughts in response to a recent post from Michael J Swart.
SQL Server Upcoming Events
- SQLBits 7 – 30th September – 2nd October – The Seven Wonders of SQL
Time is running out for you to register for this awesome event. If you are still undecided about whether or not to attend then I suggest you take a look at the following items:
- 20 MVPS AND 4 FORMER MVPS AT SQLBITS – Stacks of talent will be on hand at SQLBits at the end of this month. Make sure you do not miss out on the biggest SQL Server event in Europe this year.
- Seven Reasons You Should Attend SQLBits 7 – Here in plain black and white are just some of the reasons that you should attend.
UK SQL Server Usergroups
- Bracknell – 17th September – SQL Server CLR and T-SQL Functions – Colin Leversuch-Roberts aka GrumpyDBA, Data Tier Applications (DCA) – Neil Hambly
- Leeds – 15th September – Using XML data in SQL Server with Anthony Brown, and Martin Bell explores change management in SQL Server 2008 and Iain Kicks from Quest Software.
- Manchester – 16th September – User group evening with Allan Mitchell and Iain Kick from Quest Software talks of Managing SQL Server in a global economic meltdown.
- Maidstone – 22nd September – Kent User Group – Analysis Services (Andrew Calvett), TSQL Techniques (Dave Ballantyne)
- Cardiff – 23rd Septemeber – Chris Testa O’Neill will be creating a cube with SSAS, Ian Archibald from Attunity demonstrating their CDC products.
- Edinburgh – 7th October – Implementing Hierarchies using TSQL and the HierarchyId type and understanding aggregation problems (Tony Rogerson); TBD (Allan Mitchell).
- Leeds – 27th October – User group evening with Martin Bell and SQL Server and Virtualisation with Mike Kiersey.
- Manchester – 28th October – SQL Server Replication with Neil Hambly and Martin Bell explores change management in SQL Server 2008.
Keeping up with PASS – Useful links for keeping up with all the PASS community events, collated by BradMcGehee.
Misc Technology News
That’s it for this week. If I’ve missed anything that you think deserves a mention this week then be sure to let me know! You can leave a comment below, send me an emailor message me on Twitter(@JohnSansom).