I hope you’ve had a great week!
Be sure to reserve your place for the SQLFAQ 2010 Festive Soirée (Buffet & Dance) – Friday 17th December organised by Neil Hambly(@Neil_Hambly) and the SQLFAQ team.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- Why You Can’t Trust sysdepends – Sneaky stuff here revealed before your eyes by Thom LaRock.
- SQL SERVER – Automated Type Conversion using Expressor Studio – An interesting discussion with Pinal Dave revealing his DB Developer side.
- More considerations for the clustering key – the clustered index debate continues! – Continuing her epic campaign, Kimberly Trip discusses some of the often overlooked internals considerations to Clustered Indexes.
- SQL Internals Viewer – Here’s a brief look at this cool tool.
- An XEvent a Day (1/31) – An Overview of Extended Events – Jumping on the “post a day for a month” bandwagon, Jonathan Kehayias tackles the subject of Extended Events. This should be very good!
- The Top-Five Most Valuable Development Team Positions – Never one to shy away from controversy, Buck Woody clears up just how important a Developer you are in the grand scheme of things.
- Get Going on Powershell – A excellent resource reference shared here courtesy of Jason Crider.
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Best Practices Analyzer – Walking us through the BPA it’s Brad McGehee. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to meet Brad at SQLBits earlier in the year. Be sure to add his work to your Feed Reader!
- Using DMVs to Find the Ports that SQL Server is Listening On – A handy little T-SQL snippet here.
- HOW IT WORKS: IO Affinity Mask – Should I Use It? – Brilliant post from the CSS SQL Server Engineers that clearly discusses this often misunderstood SQL Server configuration setting.
- Stop Tuning Your Queries – That’s right Brent Ozar is telling us to stop tuning our queries…. well sort of.
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
- This should be quite simply, brilliant.
UK SQL Server Usergroups
- LEEDS – Wed 8 Dec – Tony Rogerson and Neil Hambly explores indexed views and computed columns.
- MANCHESTER – Thu 9 Dec – User group evening – Agenda to be confirmed.
- EDINBURGH – Thu 9 Dec – SQL Server Internals (Tony Rogerson); SQL Server 2008 R2 :: a X factor for DBA’s life (Satya Jayanty)
- LEEDS – Wed 19 Jan – Chris Burns and the Resource Governor and Policy Based Management with Chris Testa-O’Neill
Misc Technology Posts
That’s it for this week. What was your favourite post? If I’ve missed anything that you think deserves a mention then be sure to let me know! You can leave your comments below, send me an email and find me on Twitter(@JohnSansom).