It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
SQL Server Links
- Writing CASE expressions properly when NULLs are involved – 3 state logic and why it’s important you understand it from Mladen Prajdic (Blog|Twitter) this week.
- Tracking SQL Server Database Usage – Using Extended Events to validate database usage, from Jonathan Kehayias (Blog|Twitter).
- Database Servers And Client Tools Survey – Knowledge is power chaps so be sure to do your part for our community by completing this survey kicked off by Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter).
- Checking Out Amazon Redshift – Yes I know it’s not your classic SQL Server post but it is for your own good, moulding you into a more robust data professional, courtesy of the experiences of Mr Michael J. Swart (Blog|Twitter).
- How NOT to Fill a Position – Sharing a tale about a recent disappointing, yet comical encounter with a recruitment consultant it’s Bob Pusateri (Blog|Twitter).
- The Problem with Window Functions and Views – Query optimization considerations for working with Window Functions, beautifully explained by Paul White (Blog|Twitter)
- Log Shipping FAQ – Sharing insights gathered answering Log Shipping questions from folks just like you and me, it’s Jes Borland (Blog|Twitter).
- Getting Tooled – Standing firm on the matter, it’s Mike Fal (Blog|Twitter). Interestingly I’m actually an advocate for the other camp on this one.
- SQL Server 2012 partitioned table statistics – Update behavior change when rebuilding index nuance explained courtesy of the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog).
- Compressed Rowsets in SQL Server with CLR – An intriguing use of these technologies shared via David Browne (Blog).
- The Art of Fighting with Developers – Fighting talk from Mike Hilwig (Blog|Twitter).
- Conversion Issues Upgrading to PowerShell 3.0 – Michelle Ufford(Blog|Twitter) sharing her experiences for those DBAs and System Administrators making the move to POSH 3.0.
Make sure you don’t miss this weekly round-up of SQL Server Links, community news and technology banter by Subscribing to the Blog Feed.
You can also Get posts delivered direct to your Inbox free via Email.
Community Forum Conversations
These are some of the discussions going on right now in the SQLBrit Community Forum
- Anyone taken the 2012 exams?
- You’re a Recruitment Consultant and You Suck
- New commer
- Small tips and tricks
- Even Data Professionals have a sense of humor
Misc. Technology Posts
- Microsoft details global police data requests – BBC News Technology
- Pick a Needle and Move It – Brent Ozar
- How WordPress Thrives with a 100% Remote Workforce – Harvard Business Review
- Google’s Keep is new entrant in digital memo market – BBC News Technology
- Time to put ‘Big Data’ on a forced diet – TheRegister
Have you read a blog post this week that you really enjoyed and deserves a mention? Let me know in the comments and on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
If you enjoyed this weeks round-up of SQL content please show your support by sharing it. Click a share option at the top of the on site post.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!