I hope you’ve had a great week!
Make sure you get to enjoy my round-up of SQL Server Links, community news and technology banter every week. Subscribe to the Blog Feed now. You can also receive posts via Email.
The big news this week was not the launch of the iPad 3 but instead the news that SQL Server 2012 went RTM. On Wednesday Microsoft held the SQL Server 2012 Virtual Launch Event to mark the occasion. There was so much interest in the event that it actually brought the website down. There’s still time for you to catch the keynote, enjoy all the other sessions from the event and enter various competitions so be sure to take a look over the weekend.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- How valuable are certifications? – No, not the standard rant we have come to expect on certifications but instead a sensible commentary on the matter. Here with his thoughts is Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter).
- How To Decide if You Should Use Table Partitioning – More advice from the PLF consulting crew, Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter) your host.
- SQL Server 2012 – True Black Box Recorder – With all the SQL 2012 hype this week it’s not surprising that some cool features could get overlooked. Here those clever CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog) share with us the details of a little known feature they’re currently excited about.
- Microsoft Launches SQL 2012 – It Ain’t Nothing But a House Party – Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter) on this weeks party that took a while to get started.
- You guys still use SQL Server 2000? Really? – Some very interesting examples of client usage scenarios here courtesy of Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter) in his 2nd contribution of the week.
- How to Get Your First Job as A Database Administrator – There’s been a lot of interest in the community recently, having received a number of reader emails myself on the subject. Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter) discusses in this video.
- Microsoft JDBC Driver 4.0 for SQL Server Released! – Impress the Developers in your shop by showing you’ve got your finger on the technology pulse, thanks to the Microsoft JDBC Team (Blog).
- SQL Server 2012 Extended Events Update – 3 – Viewing Target Data – The accessibility of XEvents has been given an overhaul in SQL 2012. Make sure you can take full advantage by reading up, here with part 3 of his excellent series it’s Jonathan Kehayias (Blog|Twitter).
- SQL Server Database Mirroring (Not Dead Yet) – Discussing why there’s still life left in the old boy, it’s Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter).
- Isolation Levels and the Effects on Select Statements – An excellent explanation of this often tricky subject, as well as some pretty pictures, it’s Erin Stellato (Blog|Twitter).
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
Misc Technology Posts
- How to Hire a Programmer
- Solar storm arrives, nobody notices
- Apple unveils new iPad with high-definition screen
- New iPad: Crack open your wallets, fanbois, here’s what it’ll cost
Have you read a post this week that you think deserves a mention? Be sure to let me and other readers know by leaving a comment. You can also reach me on email and find me on Twitter(@JohnSansom).
Have a great weekend!