I hope you’ve had a great week.
Back after an extended weekend
slacking off from work of action packed SQL awesomeness that is SQL Bits. Once more proving without a doubt to be one of the best SQL events there is, putting the Great back into Britain, created by the community for the community. I even tried my hand at Live Blogging Friday’s Keynote. I’ll share more on that experience for blog authors in a future post.
The astute reader will have noticed that yes, we’re a day early for this SFTW! That’s because it’s a Bank Holiday Weekend in Great Britain and I will be doing my best to disconnect for a few days and avoid using technology. I’m sure I will fail miserably…
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- AdventureWorks2012 now available for all on SQL Azure – Simply put, this idea is absolute genius from fellow Brit, Jamie Thomson(Blog|Twitter). Another great example of the power of community. I was privileged to sit alongside Jamie last week on the panel Live Blogging/Tweeting the SQL Bits keynote. We were also joined by Twitterati @jenstirrup, @nhaslam and @Technitrain.
- How much memory does my SQL Server actually need? – As much as you can squeeze in surely!? Here with his thoughts on the matter, it’s Jonathan Kehayias (Blog|Twitter).
- How Fast is Your SAN? (Or How Slow?) – Great question. Never fast enough I would say. Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter) to the rescue.
- SQL Server 2008 Diagnostic Information Queries (April 2012) – Make sure you update your tool kit with Glenn Berry’s (Blog|Twitter) latest version of these excellent scripts.
- Execution Plan for a User Defined Function – A look at the hidden complexity your execution plans may be covering up. Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter) reveals all.
- Replicating Non-Clustered Indexes Improves Subscriber Query Performance – Experience from the field share courtesy of Microsoft SQL Server Replication Support Team(Blog).
- How Fast Does Your SAN Need to Be for SQL Server? – With his second SAN themed post of the week it’s Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter). The man is clearly obsessed with speed and fast cars.
- Sending Query Results to Others – I can’t believe that none of us have actually talked about this before! It’s one of those things we all have to do and have our own favourites. A brilliant comparison of techniques from Michael J. Swart (Blog|Twitter) this week.
- The 6 Performance Tuning Mistakes You Don’t Want To Make – I’m surprised there’s only 6 :-) Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter) shares these warnings with us.
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
Misc Technology Posts
- TomTom sat-nav devices hit by GPS ‘leap year bug’
- Privacy backlash over Girls Around Me mobile app
- My 6 Rules for Incredible Time Management
- Google unveils Project Glass augmented reality eyewear
“If you enjoy this weekly post of SQL goodness the best way you can show your support is by
sending me money sharing it so that even more folks can enjoy our fantastic community. Simply click one of the share options at the top of the on site post.”
Have a great weekend!