It’s Something For The Weekend(SFTW) time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Whoa there it’s not Friday already is it? Not here in Great Britain at least but it is for Mr Paul White (Blog|Twitter) down under. Yes we’re sneaking in a day early this week chaps. No not because of the US holiday weekend but because I’ve got to head up north to a wedding. Fear not ladies, it’s not my wedding.
Interesting news this week that the home of the SQLCAT Team content will be moving over to MSDN. Be sure to take note so you know where to seek out your performance whitepapers and real customer insights.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
SQL Server Links
- Sql Server 2014 In-Memory Oltp Hekaton Useful Links – An excellent collection Hekaton references that are currently available courtesy of Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter).
- How To Avoid Orphaned Database Users with SQL Server Authentication – Sharing some essential DBA know how, it’s Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter).
- Check Your Azure Account Usage – Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter) provides a walk-through on how to qualify your Azure usage numbers.
- What is the CXPACKET Wait Type, and How Do You Reduce It? – A closer look at the CXPACKET wait type with Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter). Be sure to read on down through the comments too chaps for more insights.
- Make the PASS Summit Work For Your Employer – Helping you get to the SQL Server Super Bowl this year, it’s Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter).
- SqlDev PowerShell 102: Working with Data and Variables – Some PowerShell magic with Michelle Ufford(Blog|Twitter).
- Query Plans: What Happens when Row Estimates Get High – A marvelous performance tuning walk-through post with Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter). A must read for both DEVs and DBAs.
- Duplicate Statistics – Do you really need all those stats? Matt Bowler (Blog) demonstrates how you can find out.
- When is throttling in Windows Azure SQL Database really throttling – Setting the record straight on the concept of “throttling” in Windows Azure, it’s the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog).
- How to Properly Shutdown a Failover Cluster or a Node – Expert advice on how to get the job done right from the FCNLB Team Blog (Blog).
- The Database Decision Diagram – How does one go about choosing a suitable database for their application? Jeremiah Peschka (Blog|Twitter) discusses.
SQL Community Forum
- Should I mention my Blog on my CV
- how much time you spend to self-improvement?
- What’s Your Deployment Process?
Misc. Technology Posts
- Stop Ignoring These Signs That Your Job Sucks – Brent Ozar
- Grand Theft Auto 5 leak sparks Sony apology to Rockstar – BBC News Technology
- Hey, Bill Gates! We’ve found 14 IT HOTSHOTS to be the next Steve Ballmer – TheRegister
- How one man turns annoying cold calls into cash – BBC News Technology
Have you read a great post or article that others might enjoy? We’d all love to know about it so please feel free to share it in the comments and on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
If you enjoyed this weeks round-up of SQL content the best way to show your support is by sharing it.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!