It’s Something For The Weekend(SFTW) time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
We’re back folks! Two weeks sure does feel like a long time to go without consuming a regular helping of awesome SQL content. I hope you were able to get your fix in some how.
Of course, taking a break every once in a while is a very good thing. So much so in fact that the super smart team at BrentOzar.com give 6 weeks vacation a year to their employees. Did you know that they’re hiring?
Cloud technology is changing the way we work as Data Professionals. How has it effected you and what are you doing to embrace the changing technology landscape? Share your thoughts in the community forum.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
SQL Server Links
- Real world story of DBCC PAGE saving the day – Thinking outside the box and putting SQL Internals to work, shared courtesy of Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter).
- My Queries For Top 20 Resource Hogs – Michael J. Swart (Blog|Twitter) shares some handy queries.
- SQL Server Internals: Nested Loops Prefetching – A detailed and insightful walk-through with Paul White (Blog|Twitter).
- Why Index Fragmentation Doesn’t Matter [Video] – A lot of DBAs run index maintenance every night simply because they can. Here’s Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter) on why you might want to reconsider that “best practice”.
- How To Avoid Butchering Your Windows Azure Sql Database Designs – What makes a good candidate for WASD? Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter) shares his thoughts.
- How to tell who changed a log file characteristic? – Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter) demonstrates how you can inspect the contents of the transaction log to identify “who” changed its characteristic.
- The Network and the Update – Design discussions this week from Jeremiah Peschka (Blog|Twitter). Make sure to read the comments chaps.
- Logging Extended Events changes to the ERRORLOG – Jonathan Kehayias (Blog|Twitter) shows how to Log XEvents changes to the Erorr Log via Triggers.
- The PowerShell Box Of Tricks GUI – More PowerShell magic with Rob Sewell (Blog|Twitter). The GUI deserves a thumbs up for the artwork effort alone.
- String length and SARGability – An excellent walk-through post with Rob Farley (Blog|Twitter).
- Interpreting the counter values from sys.dm_os_performance_counters – CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog)
- (USE THIS): New SQL Server 2012 rewrite for sp_helpindex – Sharing the latest version of this very handy utility procedure, it’s Kimberly Tripp (Blog|Twitter).
SQL Community Forum
- How is Cloud Technology Changing Your Role, if at all?
- NOT NULL usage on columns VS Constraints
- How do you monitor SQL Server uptime?
- 2012 Features – Who Knew?
Misc. Technology Posts
- Gates calls Ctrl+Alt+Del command a mistake – BBC News Technology
- Microsoft comes through on Oracle cloud partnership – TheRegister
- Google unveils major upgrade to search algorithm – BBC News Technology
- What Kind of Consulting Company Would You Build? – Brent Ozar
Have you read a great post or article that others might enjoy? We’d all love to know about it so please feel free to share it in the comments and on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
If you enjoyed this weeks round-up of SQL content the best way to show your support is by sharing it.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!