It’s Something For The Weekend(SFTW) time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
This year is rapidly drawing to a close and like many your’re probably already looking toward 2014 pondering what SQL Server Training opportunities to undertake. If not you should be! Regular readers know that I’m a huge advocate of taking charge of your own professional development. Right now is the perfect time to secure budget for the training you want. QuickStart have a wide variety of SQL Server 2012 Training Courses ideal for DBAs and Developers looking to advance their skills. Make a commitment to invest in yourself and grow your career.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
SQL Server Links
- Update on Stack Overflow’s Recovery Strategy with SQL Server 2014 – Discover how this renowned business is benefiting from the latest SQL Server technology, shared courtesy of Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter).
- Virtualizing Sql Server: 8 Things To Avoid – With over 10 years experience of Virtualizing SQL Server, Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter) shares these insights.
- SQL Server 2014 In-Memory OLTP discussions at PASS Summit 2013 – Here the Microsoft SQLCAT (Blog) team share answers to some of the common questions they received at the SQL PASS summit this year.
- Windows Azure Views – Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter) on how he’s keeping a proactive watch on changes to SQL Azure.
- What You Can (and Can’t) Do With Indexed Views – Here’s a quick look at the capabilities of this SQL Server feature, courtesy of Jes Borland (Blog|Twitter).
- If You Like Your Query Plan, You Can Keep Your Query Plan – Putting Query Plan guides to work, it’s Mike Walsh (Blog|Twitter).
- Free Ebook: SQL Server DBA Training Plan – Database Leads and Managers, this might just very well be essential reading for your team. Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter) is helping you get your Professional Development act together absolutely free.
- Will SQL Performance Better In A VM? – Denny Cherry (Blog|Twitter) answers this commonly posed question.
- Spatial Indexing: From 4 Days to 4 Hours – A fascinating look at some Spatial Indexing internals behind recent performance optimizations released in SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU7. It can only be those clever chaps the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog).
- What should a candidate know about your company? – Sharing her own thoughts on the matter, it’s Jen McCown (Blog|Twitter).
Misc. Technology Posts from Around the Web
- How To Pass the Microsoft MVP Exam – Brent Ozar
- Working Remotely Considered Dystopian – Scott Hanselman
- Global launch for Microsoft Xbox One console – BBC News Technology
- Xbox One site TITSUP in GLOBAL Microsoft cloud disaster – The Register
- Tim Berners-Lee:UK and US must protect internet users’ privacy – The Guardian
Have you read a great post or article that others might enjoy? We’d all love to know about it so please feel free to share it in the comments and on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
If you enjoyed this weeks round-up of SQL content the best way to show your support is by sharing it.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!