It’s Something For The Weekend(SFTW) time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Time to start looking toward your training opportunities for next year folks. UK chaps, I’ll see you in Exeter in March. For more details regarding the event and to register click the image below.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
SQL Server Links
- Yes Virginia, SANs Can Fail – After a brief hiatus Mike Walsh (Blog|Twitter) is back on outstanding blogging form. Good to have you back sir.
- Cloud – the forecast is improving – Rob Farley (Blog|Twitter) discusses how evolving Cloud technology is offering hybrid solutions that may open up the possibility of use to those with reservations.
- What You Can (and Can’t) Do With Filtered Indexes – Sharing a quick overview of this SQL Server Indexing feature, it’s Jes Borland (Blog|Twitter).
- SQL Saturday Exeter–What’s the Point? My Experience of 2013 SQLSatExeter – Rob Sewell (Blog|Twitter) on community, professional development and why you should get more involved.
- Cargo Cult Data Professionals– Thought provoking stuff from this week with Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter). Do you/your team need a reality check? Make sure to read on through to the comments chaps for insightful community discussion.
- Are I/O latencies killing your performance? – Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter) explains some methods for investigating and reducing high tempdb and transaction log I/O latencies.
- Compare tables to find missing rows – Sharing a T-SQL walkthrough this week, it’s Jen McCown (Blog|Twitter).
- How to Winterize Your Database – Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter) shares his approach for winding down your databases toward decommission.
- Why is log_reuse_wait_desc saying LOG_BACKUP after doing a log backup? – Sharing a further reason for why you might encounter this wait type, it’s Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter).
- Filtered Indexes and Dynamic SQL – A novel “tweak” shared courtesy of Jeremiah Peschka (Blog|Twitter) for addressing a stored procedure limitation when it comes to using Filtered Indexes.
Misc. Technology Posts from Around the Web
- Parsing Microsoft’s Massive 42% Gain In 2013 – TechCrunch
- Advice for the Wannabe (International) Road Warrior – Allan Hirt
- How d’ya make a JP Morgan banker cry? Ask him questions on Twitter – TheRegister
- Chatting With Mr Snapchat – BBC News Technology
Have you read a great post or article that others might enjoy? We’d all love to know about it so please feel free to share it in the comments and on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
If you enjoyed this weeks round-up of SQL content the best way to show your support is by sharing it.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!