Good reads from around the Web.
It’s Something For The Weekend(SFTW) time, I hope you’ve had a great week.
This week I’ve been playing (read as, pulling my hair out) with Extended Events. Without a doubt a powerful feature but it is a bit of a hard graft to work with in SQL Server 2008, particularly when you have to get your hands dirty with XML.
That said there’s enough of an upside to stick with it and I’ll be blogging about my experience in the coming weeks. One noteworthy gem I discovered was Adam Machanic’s Extended Events Code Generator. This magical UDF generates the SELECT query for your Extended Events session. That’s right, it creates the XML needed for you, leaving you more time to enjoy the good stuff, like coffee or this weeks SFTW. Win!
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
From the SQL Server blogs
- 5 More Questions for Interviewing a Database Administrator – Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter)
- Satya Slips a SQL Server Standard Secret? – Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter)
- AlwaysOn AGs: Comparing On-Premises Deployments and Azure VM Deployments – Microsoft SQLCAT (Blog)
- Statistics Matter on Temp Tables, Too – Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter)
- The inescapable problem of Latency within Data-based systems – Tony Rogerson (Blog|Twitter)
- Log Shipping Databases and Permissions Problems – Denny Cherry (Blog|Twitter)
- QR Codes Kill Kittens. What Happens Next Will Shock You – Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter)
- Auditing Database Snapshots: Free Lunch! – Bob Pusateri (Blog|Twitter)
- XEventaphobia: Conquer your fear – Russ Thomas(Blog|Twitter)
- As The World Turns: SQL Server NUMA Memory Node and the Operating System Proximity – CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog)
- Using sys.objects When Scripting Permissions? You’re Missing Something! – Kendal Van Dyke (Blog|Twitter)
SQL Community Conversations
What your SQL community peers are talking about this week. Join the conversation..
- Professional Development and Proactive Tuning – Sharing advice on how a DBA can encourage co-workers to support their growth and development.
- How do I generate a dbml file – Looking for insight from Visual Studio chaps.
- Should I Build a Blog Website? – Our community chum asks whether he should consider creating a personal website.
- The variable is named what? – The community share stories about some of the more humorous coding practices they’ve seen. Including the odd career ending practice.
- What Are Your Favourite SQL Server Forums? – Talking about your favorite forums, as well as those you don’t like.
Other Stuff Worth Reading
- The Dirty Secret Your Employees Are Hiding From You – Inc.com
- Shares in Twitter plummet after user growth slows – BBC News Technology
- UK spooks STILL won’t release Bletchley Park secrets 70 years on – TheRegister
- Book Review: The Phoenix Project – Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter)
- Google to make ‘significant’ changes to avoid EU fine – BBC News Technology
- Mars rover Curiosity snaps ‘pale blue dot’ image of Earth, Moon – TheRegister
If you have an idea for the weekly links post, general feedback or just want a chat then please get in touch. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend.
Like these links? Subscribe to get them every week!