It’s Something For The Weekend(SFTW) time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
The talk of the week in the SQL community has been all about Microsoft’s decision to end the MCA and MCM certifications. A rather short-sighted move in my opinion but I’m not quite ready to put pen to paper on this one just yet. If you believe in the clearly obvious value (to all apart from MSFT) of the SQL Server MCM then make sure you vote to save it/have your say on the Microsoft Connect site. You can keep up with all the latest content and opinion on the matter in the Community Forum.
It’s my last day in the office today chaps before I embark on a two week hiatus. You know what it’s like, that mad rush to get everything done before you head out the door. Suffice to say it’s a less chat more links round-up this week. See you on the other side.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
SQL Server Links
- The #SQLMCM is Dead, but the Experiments Go On – Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter)
- You Need Three Heads To Read This Post Properly – Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter)
- Optimizing SQL Server Spatial Queries with Bounding Box – Dmitri Korotkevitch (Blog)
- Five SQL Server Settings to Change – Jeremiah Peschka (Blog|Twitter)
- Survey: SQL Server MCM cancellation – does it affect you? – Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter)
- Off’ing a Database – John Morehouse (Blog|Twitter)
- sp_executesql, Parameters and Parameter Sniffing – Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter)
- Rebuild or Reorganize: Index Maintenance Can Save Your Job – Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter)
- Fixing a Bug: DBCC CHECKDB data purity checks are skipped for master and model – Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter)
- [SQL 2012] I want to know why my query is not parallelized – CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Virtual Machine Recovery from Network Disconnects – FCNLB Team Blog (Blog)
- Checking SQL Server User Role Membership with PowerShell – Rob Sewell (Blog|Twitter)
- Day 1 Of 31 Days Of Sql Server Backup And Restore Using Powershell – Stuart Moore (Blog|Twitter)
SQL Community Forum
- Thinking about becoming an MCM? Too late!
- Free second shot Offer
- Understanding and Using Parallelism
- How do you improve your communication skills
Misc. Technology Posts
- Promoted tweet used to complain about British Airways – BBC News Technology
- Am I really a developer or just a good googler? – Scott Hanselman
- How to Get Your Manager to Pay for Training – Brent Ozar
- The Solar System’s second-largest volcano found hiding on Earth – TheRegister
Have you read a great post or article that others might enjoy? We’d all love to know about it so please feel free to share it in the comments and on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
If you enjoyed this weeks round-up of SQL content the best way to show your support is by sharing it.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!