I hope you’ve had a great week!
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- SQL Server Instance Checklist – Following on from his posts last week, Brad McGehee shares his SQL Server Instance Checklist this week.
- Coomunity Communication – A non-technical post here from Thom LaRock providing a philosophical look at what is it that makes the SQL Server Community so dam awesome, whilst other I.T disciplines struggle.
- Brent Ozar to team up with SQLSkills.com - The Blogging and SQL Community legend that is Brent Ozar is to team up with Paul Randal and Kimberly Tripp of SQLSkills.com.
- Brent Ozar joining SQLskills.com – Here is what Paul Randal had to say on Brent joining the team.
- Does a missing data file send a database suspect? – Think you know the answer? Gail Shaw reveals all.
- Merge Replication Capacity Planning – Excellent list of resources here. If you work with SQL Server Replication and have not subscribed to this Blog you are missing out on a fantastic resource.
- The Windows Page File and SQL Server – Buck Woody sets the record straight.
- How SQL Server 2005/2008 Replication resumes interrupted snapshot delivery – Now this is cool. I was not even aware it was a feature!
- Revisiting ISNULL, COALESCE, and the Perils of Micro-Optimization – Which do you prefer? Do you even care? Adam Machanic has better things to do with his time.
- Using Indexed Views to Replace Triggers – An interesting look at a practical implementation of Indexed Views from Jeremiah Peschka.
- Conor vs. Join Algorithms – An interesting look at some of the database engine mechanics behind specific join algorithms.
- Validating sql query programmatically – What appears to be a nice bug find here, identified by AdaTheDev.
SQL Server Upcoming Events
- SQLCruise - 2nd August – This will be awesome!
- SQL Usergroup in Kent – 18th August – This is a new SQL Server Usergroup.
- SQLBits 7 – 30th September – 2nd October – The Seven Wonders of SQL.
- Keeping up with PASS – Useful links for keeping up with all the PASS community events, collated by BradMcGehee.
Misc Technology News
- VoltDB Decapitates Six SQL Urban Myths and Delivers Internet Scale OLTP in the Process – Is this the end for RDBMS’s as we know it?
- Google enters travel market with flight data purchase – Is there no stopping Google’s world domination?
That’s it for this week. If I’ve missed anything that you think deserves a mention this week then be sure to let me know! Leave a comment below, send me an email or message me on Twitter(@JohnSansom).