It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
SQL Server Links
- Troubleshooting: Tempdb Contention – Discussing one of the most common SQL Server performance problems and why it has nothing to do with I/O, it’s Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter).
- Optimize for… Mediocre? – Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter) on using the OPTIMIZE FOR UNKOWN query hint to overcome the challenges of unpredictable execution plans.
- SQL Server Partition Management Utility Part 1 – A fantastic walk-through of this freely available utility courtesy of Anthony Martin (Blog|Twitter).
- Real World Experience with SQL Server 2014 In-Memory OLTP – A “wicked cheesy” video here but very interesting nonetheless from the SQL Server Blog (Blog).
- Did You Know? What settings to always change – Sharing the SQL configuration settings that she always changes, it’s Kalen Delaney (Blog|Twitter).
- The Elephant and the Mouse, or, Parameter Sniffing in SQL Server – Is Parameter Sniffing actually such a bad thing? Jes Borland (Blog|Twitter).
- Determining a High-Availability Strategy – Jonathan Kehayias (Blog|Twitter) on why selecting a HA strategy should be an essential part of your initial server planning .
- New DMVs in SQL Server 2014 CTP1 – Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter) shares the list of new DMFs.
- The Top 3 Indexing Mistakes in SQL Server (video) – Here’s this weeks video from Brent Ozar Unlimited with your host Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter).
- TRY, CATCH, and Transactions – Jen McCown (Blog|Twitter) looks at the behavior of transactions when working with a TRY..CATCH Block.
- Database Backup History From MSDB in a pivot table – A handy T-SQL query here shared courtesy of Steve Hindmarsh (Blog|Twitter).
- Using OUTPUT to backup a Change – When making a change you ALWAYS need a rollback method. Kenneth Fisher (Blog) looks at using the OUTPUT clause as a backup alternative.
- Managing Transaction Log Growth – An excellent walk-through showing how to manage transaction log growth to support data archival, courtesy of Ted Krueger (Blog|Twitter).
SQL Community Forum
These are some of things being talked about right now by Data Professionals just like you in the Community Forum
- Considering switching job – How do you know when it’s time to move on?
- Third Party Tools – Do vendor products make DBAs dumber?
- Share Your Favourite Performance Scripts – Scripts and utilities for the DBA that likes to work smarter.
- SQL 2014 – SQL DBAs and Developers share their SQL2014 experiences so far. What yours been like?
- You’re a Recruitment Consultant and you Suck – The stories continue…
Misc. Technology Posts
- Amazon advances with Autorip – who can compete? – BBC News Technology
- Obama says US won’t scramble jets or twist arms for Snowden – The Register
- 10 New Features in Windows 8.1 Preview that saved my Surface RT – Scott Hanselmen
- Drayson Racing electric car sets new world speed record – BBC News Technology
Have you enjoyed a blog post this week that deserves a mention? Share it in the comments and on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
If you enjoyed this weeks round-up of SQL content please show your support by sharing it. Click a share option at the top of the on site post.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!