It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
The holiday weekend is fast approaching for many of you and so the weekly links round-up is coming at you a day early. Whatever you’ve got planned, have a great weekend, cheers.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
SQL Server Links
- Reducing SQL Server IO and Access Times using Bloom Filters – Part 3 (Inserting Data) - Continuing his fascinating series on the use of Bloom filters, it’s Tony Rogerson (Blog|Twitter).
- Looking at Database Snapshot Performance - I really enjoyed this piece from Jonathan Kehayias (Blog|Twitter) via SqlPerformance.com. I’ve used Snapshots in a number of solutions and have needing to use FusionIO cards in order to get the IO levels to where they needed to be to support the workload.
- Junior DBA Interview Questions – Updated - Times are changing. Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter) reflects on how the role of the Junior DBAs is different for those now on the start of their journey.
- How to Manage Vendor Databases [Video] - This weeks video from Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter) looks at how you to manage vendor databases.
- Bug: sys.dm_db_session_space_usage Reporting Extremely High Tempdb Allocations - Sharing a recent and tricky troubleshooting case, it’s Robert L. Davis(Blog|Twitter).
- Book Review – Windows Powershell 3.0 - Andy Lohn (Blog|Twitter) shares his thoughts.
- The Many Uses of Cross Apply - An interesting looking at the various ways the Cross Apply function can be used, brought together courtesy of Kenneth Fisher (Blog).
- Use PowerShell to Copy Only Folders that Contain Files - Some PowerShell magic from the Scripting Guy, Ed Wilson (Blog).
SQL Community Forum
Lot’s of new folks joining this week (following my post) and introducing themselves to community.
These are some of things being talked about right now by Data Professionals just like you in the Community Forum
- What One Piece of Advice Would You Give To Your Past Self?
- Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
- How Did You Become a DBA?
Misc. Technology Posts
- They Only Remember the “No” - Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter)
- Microsoft unveils Xbox One next-generation console - BBC News Technology
- More than half of Windows 8 users just treat it like Windows 7 - TheRegister
- Xbox One pre-owned games may require fee payment - BBC News Technology
- Twitter locks down logins by adding two-factor authentication - TheRegister
Have you enjoyed a blog post this week that deserves a mention? Share it in the comments and on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
If you enjoyed this weeks round-up of SQL content please show your support by sharing it. Click a share option at the top of the on site post.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!