It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Make sure you don’t miss this weekly round-up of SQL Server Links, community news and technology banter by Subscribing to the Blog Feed.
You can also Get posts delivered direct to your Inbox free via Email.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
SQL Server Links
- Improving Partitioned Table Join Performance - Paul White (Blog|Twitter) demonstrates that the query optimizer does not always choose an optimal strategy when joining partitioned tables.
- Configuring Alerts for High Severity Problems - Make sure you’ve got your basic alerting covered with Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter).
- Creating a Uniform, Normal and Benford Law’s Distribution from Random Numbers in SQL Server - Tony Rogerson (Blog|Twitter)
- Files and filegroups survey results - Here with the latest survey results, it’s Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter).
- High CPU Troubleshooting with DMV Queries - Advice and experience garnered from real world support cases, shared thanks to the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog).
- Sample SQL Server DBA Job Descriptions - How to write a DBA job description with Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter).
- Azure First - You heard it here first. Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter) shares a recently/accidentally discovered DMV.
- The Index Your Queries will Never Request (A Clustered Index!) - A deeper and more thoughtful look into understanding SQL Server missing index recommendations, with Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter).
- Performance Guidance for SQL Server in Windows Azure Virtual Machines - A new SQL Server white-paper for you to enjoy courtesy of the SQLCat.
- The Accidental DBA (Day 14 of 30): Index Maintenance - Like a high performance sports car, SQL Server databases require routine maintenance to maintain their best performance. Jonathan Kehayias (Blog|Twitter) explains how to give things a tune up.
- Scaling The Database: Why You Shouldn’t Cluster On Guids - Sharing her own real world experience working for one of the world leading hosting providers, it’s Michelle Ufford(Blog|Twitter).
- Are your indexing strategies working? (aka Indexing DMVs) - Are you approaching your SQL Server indexing strategically? Kimberly Tripp (Blog|Twitter) discusses.
SQL Community Forum
These are some of things being talked about right now by Data Professionals just like you in the Community Forum
- SQL 2014 - What features are you looking forward to the most and what others are using already.
- Lock Escalation - Why do row locks escalate to table, rather than Page? Find out here.
- Can anyone tell me how to grant a role to a user?
- PowerPivot and PowerView - A useful tool for monitoring/presentation for the DBA?
Misc. Technology Posts
- PlayStation 3 update causing console fault, Sony confirms - BBC News Technology
- Stop Doing Internet Wrong - Scott Hanselman
- Google admits those infamous brainteasers were completely useless for hiring - Quartz
- They WILL take your photos and they WILL use them and you WILL like it - Scott Hanselman
- Microsoft U-turn in Xbox One games row - BBC News Technology
Have you enjoyed a blog post this week that deserves a mention? Share it in the comments and on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
If you enjoyed this weeks round-up of SQL content please show your support by sharing it. Click a share option at the top of the on site post or give a Retweet on Twitter.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!