It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
SQL Server Links
- SQL Server Standard Edition High Availability Futures – With Database Mirroring on the deprecation path should you be worried? Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter) via SQLServerPerformance.com
- Hello Operator, My Switch Is Bored – I had endeavored to encourage the Switch Operator into existence but after attempting to do so via cursors I came up with zilch. Thankfully Paul White (Blog|Twitter) comes to the rescue in style.
- The @DBAreactions Guide to Database Administration [Video] – DBA Horror stories with Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter).
- Database Benchmarks – Big Data Edition – Interesting developments and bench-marking capabilities shared courtesy of Jeremiah Peschka (Blog|Twitter)
- Praise and a Suggestion for AlwaysOn – Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter) on why he’s impressed with AlwaysOn and what could be done to make it even better.
- Plan Operator Tuesday round-up – A fantastic topic for TSQL-Tuesday this month, courtesy of Rob Farley (Blog|Twitter). A rather flash write up too, nicely done.
- Why Windows Azure Sql Database May Be Right For You – Simple is often a good thing when it comes to solution design. Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter) on why WASD might simply be exactly what you need.
- Windows Server 2012 R2 for the DBA: 10 Reasons it Matters – Allan Hirt (Blog|Twitter) shares what we DBAs and Cluster Administrators need to know about Windows Server 2012.
- A performance issue involving CLR garbage collection and SQL CPU affinity setting – More real world consulting experience from the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog).
SQL Community Forums
These are some of things being talked about right now by Data Professionals just like you in the Community Forum
- NSA Scandal…Effect on Cloud vs On-Premise Decisions?
- Community Involvement
- shrinking database is it a bad practice?
Make sure you don’t miss this weekly round-up of SQL Server Links, community news and technology banter by Subscribing to the Blog Feed.
You can also Get posts delivered direct to your Inbox free via Email.
Misc. Technology Posts
- How supermarkets get your data – and what they do with it – The Guardian
- Are You a Data Scientist? – Visual Business Inteligence – Stephen Few
- What’s Wrong with Job Interviews, and How to Fix Them – LinkedIn Article
- Help Me Help You Fix That – Buck Woody
- TEDGlobal: Visions of the future of flying – BBC News Technology
Have you enjoyed a blog post this week that deserves a mention? Share it in the comments and on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
If you enjoyed this weeks round-up of SQL content please show your support by sharing it. Click a share option at the top of the on site post.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!