Jan 17, 2010
Something for the weekend: SQL Server Links for the week 14/01/10
I hope you’ve had a great week.
Have you got what it takes to be a SQL Server DBA or are you looking for that new SQL Server role? Be sure not to miss my Top 10 Junior DBA Interview Tips.
Here’s this weeks roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- IN vs INNER JOIN – I had been under the impression that Gail Shaw would be taking a respite from Blogging. I for one am sure glad this appears not to be the case as here’s another excellent blog post from her.
- Knowing and not Knowing – Although not SQL Server specific this excellent post from Jeremiah Peschka discusses an important concept required in order to be a successful DBA.
- User defined function performance is awful, Microsoft please sort this out
- Fooling the Query Optimizer – An interesting little peek here at the inner working of the query optimizer from Ben Nevarez.
- Free eBook on SQL Server Maintenance Plans – Get yourself a copy. Sure you may think you know all there is know about maintenance plans but it’s free right!
- SQL Server – How many times is the subquery executed? – An interesting snippet here at how subqueries do not always work as you might expect.
- Adding a PK online? – Can this even be done? Take a look at this blog post from Tibor Karaszi to find out.
- Is there and overhead to RPC events? – A fantastically insightful and detailed analysis, including walk through.
- Finding Implicit Column Conversions in the Plan Cache – Brilliant SQL Snippet here.
- The Database Design Process – Buck Woody tells us how he goes about the process.
- Learn Free at SQLLunch – FREE SQL Server Training! Find out how you can make the most of your lunch, snacks not included.
- How to Use SQL Backup Inside a Maintenance Plan – Fantastic little tip here that can be applied to any 3rd Party Database Backup Utility.
Misc Technology News
- German government warns against using MS Explorer
- Kodak sues Apple and RIM over iPhone and Blackberry