Aug 13, 2010
Something for the Weekend – SQL Server Links for the week 13/08/10
I hope you’ve had a great week!
- Check out the recently added Popular Posts section to find out what content visitors to this site enjoy the most.
- Don’t forget to have a go at this weeks SQL Server Crossword.
SQL Server Links
- Index Tuning Advisors – Some vendor bashing and a reminder to not treat the DTA results as gospel here from Thomas LaRock.
- New Disaster Recovery option for Peer-2-Peer (P2P) Replication in SQL 2008 – An interesting feature change to how Peer-2-Peer Replication behaves in SQL Server 2008.
- Iterators, Query Plans, and Why They Run Backwards – An intriguing look at some query plan specifics here from Paul White.
- Passing a TABLE variable into dynamic SQL – A T-SQL coding tip from Adrian Hills (@AdaTheDev)
- Vardecimal storage format and upgrade to SQL2008 RTM or SQL2008R2 – Useful knowledge, shared by the SQL Server Storage Engine Team via their blog.
- Benchmarking: Introducing SSDs (Part 3: random inserts with wait stats details) – The next instalment of Paul Randal’s excellent series on performance benchmark testing SSD’s.
- Finding SQL Agent Jobs Owned By The Wrong Person – A nice T-SQL tip for DBA’s here, courtesy of Jeremiah Peschka.
- Conor vs. Misbehaving Parameterized Queries + OPTIMIZE FOR hints – I really enjoy reading Conor Cunningham’s posts on the Query Processor but I know that some readers may find the content tough going. It’s incredibly valuable content if you can understand it. I suggest that if you’re struggling go and read SQL Server 2008 Internals to get you started.
- Microsoft announces SQL Server Migration Assistant for MySQL – Could prove very interesting. I’d be very interested to hear from anyone who has played around with this.
- Introducing sp_CascadingDataViewer – A nifty little utility Stored Procedure here from Jamie Thomson.
- The Impact of Non-Updating Updates – Here’s this weeks second contribution from Paul White and great work once again.
SQL Server Upcoming Events
- UK SQL Server Usergroups
- SQLBits 7 – 30th September – 2nd October – The Seven Wonders of SQL. Pricing
- Keeping up with PASS - Useful links for keeping up with all the PASS community events, collated by BradMcGehee.
Misc Technology News
That’s it for this week. If I’ve missed anything that you think deserves a mention this week then be sure to let me know! You can leave a comment below, send me an emailor message me on Twitter(@JohnSansom).