It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Make sure you don’t miss this weekly round-up of SQL Server Links, community news and technology banter by Subscribing to the Blog Feed.
You can also Get posts delivered direct to your Inbox free via Email.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
SQL Server Links
Troubleshooting: Transaction Log Growth – This is an issue that is forever being asked about on the forums. Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter) explains why it happens and shows how to easily identify what is preventing the log from clearing.
- Locking in Microsoft SQL Server – Key lookup deadlock – One of the more interesting Deadlock scenarios that I’ve seen demonstrated and explained, courtesy of Dmitri Korotkevitch (Blog). A first mention on SFTW too.
- Everything I Can Tell About My MCM Exam Experience – An excellent account of his road to MCM experience, it’s Bob Pusateri (Blog|Twitter).
- Getting Started With SQL Server 2014 the Easy Way – Here’s how to get started with SQL Server 2014 the easy way, with Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter).
- SQL Server Diagnostic Information Queries for July 2013 – Sharing the most recent updates to his super handy scripts, it’s Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter).
- On Bobcats per 100 Orders and Other Spurious Metrics – Jeremiah Peschka (Blog|Twitter) advising you to exercise caution when reviewing SQL Server metrics.
- SSMS Tools Pack 2.7 is released – Sharing the details of hist latest SSMS Tools pack release, it’s Mladen Prajdic (Blog|Twitter).
- Differential Backups, Differential Terms – Who knew database backups could be so confusing. Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter) clears things up for us.
- It Took Me Ages To Figure This One Out: A Puzzle – Determined to not only squander his own time but yours too it’s Michael J. Swart (Blog|Twitter). No cheating by looking at the comments folks!
- How to Move Highly Available (Clustered) VMs to Windows Server 2012 with the Cluster Migration Wizard – Another insightful post from the FCNLB Team Blog (Blog) . These chaps do like their long post titles a bit much though.
SQL Community Forum
These are some of things being talked about right now by Data Professionals just like you in the Community Forum
- Third Party Tools – Are SQL Server tools making you stupid?
- Time to harvest…how do I tell if the fruit is rotten? – How to tell if a database or table is no longer in use? What’s your decommissioning method?
- Your opinion – Career advice for the community, from the community.
- Anyone taken the 2012 exams? – Sharing your success stories
- You’re a Recruitment Consultant and you Suck – Your comedy tales and stories of experience continue….
Misc. Technology Posts
- The Future is Already Here – Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter)
- Smartphone becomes in-car head-up display – BBC News Technology
- Getting better over time – Rob Farley (Blog|Twitter)
- Climate SHOCKER: Rising CO2 is turning the world’s deserts GREEN – TheRegister
- App Store ‘full of zombies’ claim on Apple anniversary – BBC News Technology
Have you enjoyed a blog post this week that deserves a mention? Share it in the comments and on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
If you enjoyed this weeks round-up of SQL content please show your support by sharing it. Click a share option at the top of the on site post.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!