There’s been a lot of SQL Server activity going on in London this past week and the rest of the month is packed full of it too! Make sure you take advantage of this while you still can and find out what’s going on near you in the upcoming events section below.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- Scaling SQL Server: Growing Out – This week discussing an often hotly debated topic it’s Jeremiah Peschka (Blog|Twitter).
- Interview Questions – Mike Hilwig (Blog|Twitter) shares with us some of the interview questions that he puts to candidates.
- Improved partition loading – Something for the SSIS folks courtesy of Josef Richberg (Blog|Twitter).
- Speaker Lessons Learned – Free Advice That’s Paid For – Following the un-sql Friday theme Karen Lopez (Blog|Twitter) shares some brilliant advice for those in the speaking game.
- If You See Something, Say Something – Valuable words of wisdom for Data Professional this week from Mike Walsh (Blog|Twitter).
- On the exorcism of Ghost Records – Some fascinating SQL Server internals content from Gail Shaw (Blog|Twitter) looking at the deletion of data and Ghost cleanup.
- Head in the Clouds–Eyes on the Books – Buck Woody (Blog|Twitter) shares an excellent reading list.
- Forget About PIVOT, You Don’t Need It – I can never remember the syntax for PIVOT offhand, so true and finally Michael J. Swart (Blog|Twitter) gives us permission not to. Be sure to also check out the great discussions in the comments.
- Trusting the tools! – A cautionary tale from experience brought to you by Kimberly Tripp (Blog|Twitter).
- SQL Server Virutlization, Consolidation and Private Cloud Resources – A nice list of resource from the SQLOS Team (Blog).
- Transactional Replication and WAN links – I missed this one from a few weeks back but there is some fantastic advice here from Argenis Fernandez(Blog|Twitter) with regard to working with SQL Server Replication. You don’t find out this sort of stuff from text books or books online!
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
- MANCHESTER – Wed 15 Jun – Andrew Fryer from Microsoft and Allan Mitchell
- LONDON – Thu Jun 16 – Tony Rogerson (MVP) and Neil Hambly (Wait Stats) + Guest presenter – Topics to be updated shortly
- LEEDS – Thu 16 Jun – UG meeting with Andrew Fryer from Microsoft and Allan Mitchell
- SOUTHWEST – Thu 16 Jun – SQL South West User Group including online session via LiveMeeting with Aaron Nelson (@SQLVariant) on using PowerShell with SQL Server.
- LONDON – Mon 20 Jun – Multi Day Seminar – SQLskills Immersion Event on Internals and Performance – 5 day event 20th June – 25th June
- LONDON – Tue Jun 21 – London UG meeting on BI topics including spatial data support & other topic (TBC)
- EDINBURGH – Thu 23 Jun – Scottish Area User Group Meeting
- READING – 27 – 28 June – Microsoft Business Intelligence – Discover SQL Server “Denali” with SSAS (Days 1-2)
- SOUTHAMPTON – Wed Jul 6 – SQL User group evening of Matt Whitfield (@atlantis_uk) and Alex Whittles (@PurpleFrogSys)
- CARDIFF – Thu Jul 14 – Cardiff User Group. Agenda TBA
- LONDON – Fri 15 Jul – SQL in the City
- LONDON – September 12 – 14 – Advanced SQL Server Troubleshooting Workshop
Misc Technology Posts
- Facebook sorry over face tagging launch
- Apple pilfers rips off student’s rejected iPhone app
- Nintendo unveils new Wii console
- A peek inside Apple’s iCloud data center
That’s it for this week. What was your favourite post? If I’ve missed anything that you think deserves a mention then be sure to let me know! You can leave your comments below, send me an email and find me onTwitter(@JohnSansom).