I hope you’ve had a great week!
This time next week I’ll be at SQLBits! Be sure to come on over and say hi if you spot me. To be honest you can’t really miss me, I’m the big scary looking bloke. I’m a big softy really, just don’t tell anyone…..
If you’ve not been able to keep up with all the daily post action this week then you can catchup on what you’ve missed here in this weeks series 5 Days To Outstanding DBA Customer Service.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- (Not a) CHECKDB error “Unable to deallocate a kept page” – Another valuable insight here from Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter).
- SQL University – Cloud Week – Excellent overview here from Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter) sharing how you can get to grips with learning SQL Azure.
- There’s more than one way to skin an eggplant: Using APPLY for calculations – Brilliant demonstration of the power of the APPLY operator here from Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter).
- Indexes: just because you can, doesn’t mean you should! – Kicking off her new post series it’s Kimberly Tripp (Blog|Twitter). Essential reading for everybody.
- MySpace’s failures had next to if not nothing to do with the Microsoft stack or being in LA – Some frank and interesting insights shared by Denny Cherry (Blog|Twitter). It’s good to see bloggers with an opinion who are not afraid to air it.
- SSAS Deployment essentials – Fantastic resources for SSAS shared courtesy of Andrew Calvett (Blog|Twitter). Yes I said SSAS :-) Not the typical flavour of content I share but what can I say, I’m branching out or rather being pushed into supporting other areas. Information like this will really assist your performance tuning and administrative dealings with SSAS.
- Shrink Your Databases Regularly -Another wonderful display of T-SQL goodness from Brad Schulz (Blog).
- Impact on Log Reader Agent after reindex operations – Replication tips from the field courtesy of the Microsoft SQL Server Replication Support Team(Blog).
- SQL U – Cloud Computing – Class 1 / SQL U Class 2 – Use Cases – Two fantastic posts this week from Buck Woody (Blog|Twitter), looking at how and more importantly when we should be using SQLAzure.
- Meeting Up for Data and Waffles: Are you with me? – A fantastic community endeavour from Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter). If you’re in the Seattle area then get involved in the fun.
- Stop the command prompt from disappearing after execution – More practical tips for the DBA from Pradeep Adiga (Blog|Twitter)
- March Madness – SQL Server System Tables – suspect_pages – Continuing his excellent series this past month it’s Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter), this time looking at an often overlooked system table.
- 32- and 64-Bit Connectivity from the Same Machine – Finishing the week off, considerations and advice for you DEVs when working with mixed connectivity environments.
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
- SOUTHAMPTON – Wed 13 April – User group evening of Neil Hambly.
- SQLBits 8 – 7th – 9th April – Europe’s biggest SQL Server event will be at he seaside this time around. Only a few place remain now
- LEEDS - Wed 11 May – Leeds UG meeting – Resource Govenor and Policy Based Management with Chris Testa-O’Neill
- SOUTHAMPTON - Wed 11 May – User group evening of TBA.
- MANCHESTER - Thu 12 May – Planning for Stored Procedures with Munsoor Negyal and another speaker- Thursday night meeting at BSS
- SOUTHAMPTON - Wed 8 Jun – User group evening of TBA.
Misc Technology Posts
That’s it for this week. What was your favourite post? If I’ve missed anything that you think deserves a mention then be sure to let me know! You can leave your comments below, send me an email and find me on Twitter(@JohnSansom).