Aug 31, 2012
Something for the Weekend – SQL Server Links 31/08/12
It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Make sure you don’t miss this weekly round-up of SQL Server Links, community news and technology banter by Subscribing to the Blog Feed.
You can also receive posts via Email.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- LOB Logical Reads twice the row count - An excellent walk through from Ted Krueger (Blog|Twitter), looking at the some SQL internals regarding LOB data access.
- Scary SQL Surprises: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Replication - Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter) highlights the dangers of assuming that you have everything under control.
- Survey: transaction log files per database (code to run) - The survey findings shared by Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter) ALWAYS make for interesting and educational reading. You can do your part by contributing to the actual research by submitting your own data. Go do it now.
- Deletes that Split Pages and Forwarded Ghosts - Deletes causing page splits may seem counter intuitive at first look, Paul White (Blog|Twitter) explains in style.
- Open Question and Answer Webcast Recording - Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter)
- Who’s taking your backups? No, really – who’s taking your backups? - A gentle reminder from Jes Borland (Blog|Twitter) to check the fine print of your database backup practices.
- Sharpshooting Query Plans From The Cache - Here’s a script from Michael J. Swart (Blog|Twitter) to help you immediately treat a query with a poor execution plan using laser like precision.
- Why Datatypes Matter: 3 Ways They Can Hurt Performance - Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter) on database design.
- Unexpected ALTER DATABASE commands causing availability problems in Windows Azure SQL Database - The CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog) here looking at areal world troubleshooting case with SQL Azure.
- Myth Of The Inclusion Filter - The importance of ensuring both you and your customers know the difference, Matt Velic (Blog|Twitter) discusses.
- SQL Audit 302 – Deploying the Audit Solution with Powershell - Wrapping up her excellent series on creating and deploying an audit solution, it’s Colleen Morrow (Blog|Twitter). Links to the entire series can be found int this post.
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
Use the SQL Server Event Calendar to keep informed of all upcoming SQL Server events, User Groups, and training opportunities here in the UK. You can also add this calendar alongside you existing Google calendar.
Misc Technology Posts
- Blizzard cuts off Iranian access to World of Warcraft - BBC News Technology
- Today is Goof Off at Work Day - Coding Horror
- Apple-Samsung patent verdict: Expert opinions - BBC News Technology
- Oracle rushes out patch for critical 0-day Java exploit - TheRegister
- Square Enix’s CoreOnline makes console games ‘free’ online - BBC News Technology
What was your favourite post? Read a blog this week that you think deserves a mention? Share your thoughts in the comments and find me on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
“If you enjoyed this weeks fix of SQL goodness the best way you can show your support is by sharing it. Please click a share option at the top of the on site post.”
Have a great weekend!