I hope you’ve had a great week!
I’m back! Did you miss me? Of course not because you were instead treated to great SQL Server content courtesy of Neil Hambly(Blog|Twitter) playing host in my absence. I think you’ll agree he did an absolutely smashing job, thanks Neil!
Yesterday(Thursday) was the start of an action packed week of SQL Server events here in the UK. I am unfortunately unable to make it to SQLBits this weekend myself and I have to say that I’m super jealous right now of all you lucky folks in attendance, getting your SQL learn on. I hope you have a fantastic time and look forward to catching up with you again soon. I’ll see some of you next week at SQLRelay.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- How does DBCC CHECKDB WITH ESTIMATEONLY work? - A fascinating look into the internals of the ESTIMATEONLY feature of CHECKDB courtesy of Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter).
- Optimizing Database Restores - Nicholas Cain (Blog|Twitter) shares with us how with tweaking and testing you can improve the performance of your database restores.
- September 2011 SQL Server 2008 Instance Level Diagnostic Queries - More DMV magic for your toolbox thanks to Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter).
- How to Plan a SQL Server Virtualization Project (Video) - One to watch here for the weekend courtesy of Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter).
- Start daily programs – More n00bz fun with #Powershell! - An excellent idea here from Jen McCown (Blog|Twitter) as I’m always looking for ways to improve efficiency.
- How to move a Published Table to a new File Group - Getting down and dirty with replication administration with the Microsoft SQL Server Replication Support Team(Blog).
- Maximizing SQL Server Throughput with RSS Tuning - More performance tuning advice from those super clever folks in the Microsoft SQLCAT (Blog).
- Database Properties Health Check - Fantastic article from Brad McGehee (Blog|Twitter) that incorporates some PowerShell magic.
- After Applying SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 Error 9013 is logged - Real world support case lessons and experience, shared courtesy the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog).
- SQL Server MVP Deep Dives Vol 2 – get my chapter free - Get your hands on a free chapter from the upcoming SQL Server MVP Deep Dives book courtesy of Rob Farley (Blog|Twitter). Better yet, put your hand in your pocket and order your copy from Amazon now. It’s for a good cause!
- SQL Cruise 2012 Registrations Open - SQL Cruise dates for next year have been announced and registration is open. Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter) here with the details.
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
- SQLBits 9 - Thur 29 Sep – 1 Oct – The UKs largest SQL Server event heads to Liverpool.
- SQLRelay - Mon 3 Oct – Thur 6 Oct – 13 SQL Server Events taking place across 4 days throughout the whole of the UK.
- SOUTHAMPTON - Wed 9 Nov -Allan Mitchell and James Rowland-Jones taking over the evening.
- LEEDS - Wed 23 Nov - Provisional date.
Misc Technology Posts
That’s it for this week. If you’ve read a post this week that you think deserves a mention be sure to let me and other readers know by using comments section below. You can also reach me on email and find me on Twitter(@JohnSansom).
Have a great weekend!
Did you enjoy this post? The best way to show your support is by clicking the Like/Google Plus 1 button at the top of the on site post.
It spreads the word helping our SQL community grow and shows you care :-)