Jan 25, 2013
Something for the Weekend – SQL Server Links 25/01/13
It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Make sure you don’t miss this weekly round-up of SQL Server Links, community news and technology banter by Subscribing to the Blog Feed.
Get SFTW posts delivered direct to your Inbox free via Email.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- Geek City: Accessing Distribution Statistics - How to get your hands on all those statistical insights from Kalen Delaney (Blog|Twitter). There’s also a reference to a little known DMV.
- Saving Execution Plans on Azure SQL Database - So you’ve got your hands on that pesky plan, now how can you share it? Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter) reveals all.
- Building a Workstation for SQL Server 2012 Development and Testing - Time for a new toy? I think so! Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter) giving brilliant guidance on how to get the most bang from your buck when it comes to purchasing your own testing rig.
- VMware HA is Not Database Server High Availability - Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter) on why there’s still a real genuine need to get physical.
- Tpc-Vms Benchmark To Compare Virtual Workloads - Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter) shares his thoughts on the latest TPC benchmark, targeted at Virtual Workloads, and ponders on what it means for the industry.
- PAGELATCH_EX Contention on 2:1:103 - A tremendous write up from Michael J. Swart (Blog|Twitter) on a recent performance troubleshooting effort. Great stuff!
- Day 18 of 31 Days of Disaster Recovery: How to CHECKDB Like a Boss - Continuing his excellent series it’s Robert L. Davis(Blog|Twitter). Here he shares a script for us to put to work.
- Speaking Out - Mike Fal (Blog|Twitter) on how to step into the ring for the very first time.
- Choosing the Right SQL Server Version: It’s Trickier than You’d Think - A very clear explanation from Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter), on a subject that is frequently a source for confusion. Not to mention reference to sneaky bug/gotcha.
- How can I get that user out of my table quickly - A real world customer support case from the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog). Solving a performance issue using a persisted computed column.
- How Does the Cloud Change a Systems Architect’s Job? - Buck Woody (Blog|Twitter) kicks off a post series on how the cloud affects the way us “IT Pros” work.
- A Quicker Alternative to SELECT COUNT(*) - A quick T-SQL coding tip here from Frank Gill (Blog|Twitter). Check through to the comments for even more insight.
SQLBrit Community Forum
These are some of the discussions going on right now in the SQLBrit Community Forum
- Study Resources – Mirroring / Clustering? - Share your advice with the community and enjoy the excellent references being shared.
- Me Versus the Internet - Make sure you don’t suffer from this trap.
- Preventing Index Fragmentation - An alternative angle on a common problem.
- Should I Replicate, No Maybe Data Mirror, Hmmm SSIS? - Choosing the right tool for the job. It’s important and certainly not easy.
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
Use the SQL Server Event Calendar to keep informed of all upcoming SQL Server events, User Groups, and training opportunities here in the UK. You can also add this calendar alongside you existing Google calendar.
Misc Technology Posts
- Sony fined over ‘preventable’ PlayStation data hack - BBC News Technology
- ‘Op! Op! Op!’ Gangnam Style earns Google $8m - TheRegister
- Sony Xperia Z tablet and LG Optimus Pro G phone unveiled - BBC News Technology
What was your favourite post? Read a blog this week that you think deserves a mention? Share your thoughts in the comments and find me on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
“If you enjoyed this weeks fix of SQL goodness the best way you can show your support is by sharing it. Please click a share option at the top of the on site post.”
Have a great weekend!