Aug 24, 2012
Something for the Weekend – SQL Server Links 24/08/12
It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Make sure you don’t miss this weekly round-up of SQL Server Links, community news and technology banter by Subscribing to the Blog Feed.
You can also receive posts via Email.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- The Availability Group Wizard and the HADR Seeding Test Database - An interesting behavioural nuance is highlighted here, courtesy of Jonathan Kehayias (Blog|Twitter).
- Another Execution Plan… In the Cloud! - It seems things in the cloud are not quite as they might seem. Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter) with the details.
- Change Management: The Question You’re Not Asking - A passionately contested topic is up for discussion this week, with Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter) sharing her thoughts.
- Potential Problems with Partitioning - Jeremiah Peschka (Blog|Twitter) raising considerations that all DBAs will want to address before embarking on a partitioning implementation.
- Most common latch classes and what they mean - A fascinating look at latches via the latest community survey results from Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter). Latches are one of those less often visited depths of performance tuning SQL Server, you’re guaranteed to learn something here.
- Be Careful with the Merge Statement - A cautionary tale from Michael J. Swart (Blog|Twitter).
- Enlarging the AdventureWorks Sample Databases - You can never have too much of a good thing. To get your hands on more data for the adventure works database, follow this instruction from Jonathan Kehayias (Blog|Twitter).
- Webcast Video: Sizing Up the TempDB Database – Best Practices - Another quality webcast from the PLF Team this week, with host Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter).
- T-SQL Tuesday #33 Wrap-up (#tsql2sday) - Wrapping up the contributions and highlights, from this months host of #tsql2sday, Mike Fal (Blog|Twitter).
- SQL Server 2005 Diagnostic Information Queries (August 2012) - An update to one of my favourite utilities, for those folks running SQL 2005, from Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter). You think SQL 2005 feels old, I had to work on an issue on a SQL 2000 instance this week. Good times.
- How to show pending Merge Replication changes - Advanced replication administration insights from the Microsoft SQL Server Replication Support Team(Blog).
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
Use the SQL Server Event Calendar to keep informed of all upcoming SQL Server events, User Groups, and training opportunities here in the UK. You can also add this calendar alongside you existing Google calendar.
Misc Technology Posts
- Sony shuts Wipeout video game studio in Liverpool - BBC News Technology
- Tech conferences: Not just here for the FREE BEER - TheRegister
- Intel Haswell-EP Processor Rumors - Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter)
- Microsoft’s new retro-flavoured logo channels Channel 4 - TheRegister
What was your favourite post? Read a blog this week that you think deserves a mention? Share your thoughts in the comments and find me on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
“If you enjoyed this weeks fix of SQL goodness the best way you can show your support is by sharing it. Please click a share option at the top of the on site post.”
Have a great weekend!