Feb 15, 2013
Something for the Weekend – SQL Server Links 15/02/13
It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Did you get a chance to see SQLBrit on SQL Server Central this week?
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy.
SQL Server Links
- A new Q & A site, with plan uploads directly from Plan Explorer! - A post on SQLPerformance.com via those clever folks at SQLSentry(@SQL_Sentry).
- Behind the scenes of PowerShell and SQL - This weeks standout T-SQL Tuesday piece for me is from Rob Farley (Blog|Twitter), where he looks at the bigger picture of PowerShell and our use of it.
- Buffer pool disfavoring - An interesting look at why some operations (DBCC CHECKDB for example) do not flush the buffer pool. Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter) explains.
- Graphically Viewing Extended Events Deadlock Graphs - Jonathan Kehayias (Blog|Twitter) demonstrates another great update to Plan Explorer.
- SQL Server Naming Standards - Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter) has his say on this highly personal topic. As you can imagine, the comments are quite passionate.
- Day 28 of 31 Days of Disaster Recovery: Recovering SQL if the Tempdb Drive Dies - Continuing his monster sized series, it’s Robert L. Davis(Blog|Twitter).
- Tracking page splits using the transaction log - An excellent dose of SQL Internals from Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter), demonstrating how you can read the transaction log to identify page splits.
- Under rare conditions, using IN clause can cause unexpected SQL behavior - More real world customer support cases from the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog).
- T-SQL Tuesday #39 – Powershell Sorts! - You can never have too much PowerShell magic, Jim McLeod (Blog|Twitter) shares.
Community Forum Conversations
These are some of the discussions going on right now in the SQLBrit Community Forum
- SSIS: Passing a variable to a table
- Studying to take MCTS 70-432 for First Time. I am Nervous!
- Best Practices SSIS
- Select * Syndrome
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
Use the SQL Server Event Calendar to keep informed of all upcoming SQL Server events, User Groups, and training opportunities here in the UK. You can also add this calendar alongside you existing Google calendar.
Misc. Technology Posts
- Why you need a home lab to keep your job - TheRegister
- How I Cleanup Up My Desk Cabling - Inspiring cable management from Brent Ozar
- iOS 6.x hack allows personal data export, free calls - TheRegister
- Meteor strike injures hundreds in central Russia - BBC News Technology
What was your favourite post? Read a blog this week that you think deserves a mention? Share your thoughts in the comments and find me on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
Make sure you don’t miss this weekly round-up of SQL Server Links, community news and technology banter by Subscribing to the Blog Feed.
Get SFTW posts delivered direct to your Inbox free via Email.