Dec 14, 2012
Something for the Weekend – SQL Server Links 14/12/12
It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Make sure you don’t miss this weekly round-up of SQL Server Links, community news and technology banter by Subscribing to the Blog Feed.
You can also receive posts via Email.
I know you’re all racing to get things done in time for the holidays so I’ll keep this short. I’m delighted to announce that this week we kicked off the SQLBrit Community Forum. It’s your place to discuss and learn about all the “other stuff” there is to being a Data Professional. There are already some fantastic conversations taking place and I’d love for you to join in too.
It’s super easy and fast to register to the forum but there is a security question you’ll need to answer. That’s there to stop all those pesky spammers out there. The question is insultingly easy, so much so that if you need to ask me the answer (which you can do on Twitter if you really must) then being a Data Professional might not be the right career for you.
For many of you I suspect this will be your last week in the office before the holiday season so in case we don’t chat before then I would like to wish you all a very Happy Holidays!
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- MERGE Bug with Filtered Indexes - Paul White (Blog|Twitter) walks us through. Excellent explanation as always.
- Things I Didn’t Do For The Mcm Lab Exam - If you’re on the long winding road to SQL MCM then you’ll want to read this. It certainly “clicked” a few things into place for me. Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter) on SQL Server MCM tactics.
- sp_Blitz v16: Snapshots, Recompiles, ShrinkDB, and More - Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter) shares the latest release of this excellent tool for DBAs. This along with many other excellent performance related scripts are currently being shared in the SQLBrit Community forums thread: Performance Scripts.
- Joins in single-table queries - Sharing his contribution to this weeks T-SQL Tuesday theme, it’s Rob Farley (Blog|Twitter).
- How to Setup a Failover Cluster in a RODC Environment - FCNLB Team Blog (Blog)
- How It Works: SQL Server (NUMA Local, Foreign and Away Memory Blocks) - CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog)
- The Least Expensive SQL Server 2012 High Availability Solution - Roll your own HA solution on a budget this week from Denny Cherry (Blog|Twitter).
- Cross-database Queries by Contained Users - An interesting security behaviour brought to light courtesy of Robert L. Davis(Blog|Twitter).
- SQL Server 2012 Setup just got smarter… - Shame about the DBAs Sharing some of the new integrated update features to SQL 2012 setup it’s the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog).
SQLBrit Community Forum
These are some of the discussions going on right now in the SQLBrit Community Forum
- What Character Traits Do You Look For in a DBA?
- Share Your Favourite Performance Scripts
- What To Get Your DBA This Christmas
- VM versus Physical
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
Use the SQL Server Event Calendar to keep informed of all upcoming SQL Server events, User Groups, and training opportunities here in the UK. You can also add this calendar alongside you existing Google calendar.
Misc Technology Posts
- Google Maps back on iPhone after Apple software fiasco - BBC News Technology
- Goldman Sachs: Windows’ true market share is just 20% - TheRegister
- US, UK and Canada refuse to sign UN’s internet treaty - BBC News Technology
What was your favourite post? Read a blog this week that you think deserves a mention? Share your thoughts in the comments and find me on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
“If you enjoyed this weeks fix of SQL goodness the best way you can show your support is by sharing it. Please click a share option at the top of the on site post.”
Have a great weekend!