It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
I’m going to be taking a short hiatus in the coming weeks and I was wondering if some of you chaps might be interested in holding the fort in my absence? If you would like to guest post the weekly links round up here (on Friday 26th April/3rd May) then let me know.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
SQL Server Links
- Discover, Diagnose, and Document ALL Your SQL Servers On Your Coffee Break – Regular readers know that the Best DBAs Automate Everything and Mr Kendal Van Dyke (Blog|Twitter) clearly shares our winning philosophy as this week he’s giving away the power of automation with our community absolutely Free. Get on over to Codeplex to download a copy and be sure to share your feedback/express thanks.
- Free SQL Server Training Videos for Developers – Lots of excellent content to enjoy courtesy of Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter).
- A SQL Server Hardware Tidbit a Day – Day 11 – Continuing his insightful series of posts on SQL Server hardware it’s Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter). Really enjoying these.
- Survey: what mechanism do you use for regular database maintenance? – We all know knowledge is power. Be sure to do your part for our community by completing this survey from Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter).
- The All-New ‘Database Lifecycle Management” is available on MSDN – Kevin Kline(Blog|Twitter) shares a reference to this newly available resource.
- SQLIOSim Checksum Validations – From the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog)
- Building a Lab or Portable Demo VM Box Cheaply – Building a Lab is no trivial matter for a DBA. It’s a serious endeavor constructing a playground for learning and testing proof of concepts. When an experienced consultant such as Allan Hirt (Blog|Twitter) decides to share their build, we’re guaranteed quality instruction.
- Implicit Conversions that cause Index Scans – High quality analysis from Jonathan Kehayias (Blog|Twitter).
- T-SQL Tuesday #41: The Hook – I’m going to let you in on a little secret, I typically try to avoid sharing meme posts on the links round-up. I feel that by the time Friday rolls around I’m pretty much done with the theme and imagine that other folks are too. Conversely then, when I do share a post from a meme, you know it’s got to be good! Inspirational stuff from Mr Mike Fal (Blog|Twitter).
SQL Community Forum
These are some of things being talked about right now by Data Professionals just like you in the Community Forum
- Do you recommend using WITH(NOLOCK) or not ? – Scripts and quality video resources shared
- Even Data Professionals have a sense of humor – More comedy for the Data Professional
- What’s on SQLBrits Book Shelf – Not just SQL books it would seem
- Your Top 10 Posts of the Year – Community members share their favorites.
Misc. Technology Posts
- Twitter acquisition move hints at music service – BBC News Technology
- Google: ‘We’ll track EVERY task on EVERY data center server’ – TheRegister
- Samsung unveils 6.3in Galaxy Mega smartphone – BBC News Technology
Have you read a blog post this week that you really enjoyed and deserves a mention? Let me know in the comments and on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
If you enjoyed this weeks round-up of SQL content please show your support by sharing it. Click a share option at the top of the on site post.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!