I hope you’ve had a great week!
The big news for the SQL community this week is that registration for SQLBits X is open right now! To top it off this is the official SQL Server 2012 launch event for the UK. From the activity and hype on Twitter it’s clear this event is proving to be the most popular SQLBits yet, as registrations have been coming in thick and fast. I’ve booked my spot, have you?
Do you enjoy reading this weekly round-up of SQL Server goodness? The best way to show your support is by clicking the Facebook Like and Google Plus 1 buttons at the top of the on site post.
It spreads the word helping our SQL community grow and shows you care :-)
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- Is Distinct Aggregation Still Considered Harmful? - To be honest I have absolutely no idea. Thank heavens then for Paul White (Blog|Twitter) and his performance tuning wizardry.
- Adding Users To Local Groups With PowerShell - Don’t do it the hard way like I did and instead use a little PowerShell magic courtesy of Nicholas Cain (Blog|Twitter).
- Finding Replication Schema Options - An excellent T-SQL tip from Jonathan Kehayias (Blog|Twitter) for those DBAs that get down and dirty with Replication.
- SQL Server 2012 Licensing Changes - I bet this took a bit of work to put together. Denny Cherry (Blog|Twitter) demystifies the latest round of SQL Server licensing changes.
- A Very Merry Microsoft Christmas - Kicking off this months #memmonday event it’s Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter). There’s still time for you to get involved and share a post of your own. Not interested? Here’s why you should be.
- SQL Server Optimizer Bug with JOIN and GROUP BY - Even more performance tuning insights from Paul White (Blog|Twitter).
- Schema Design Changes shouldn’t just be done once - A very interesting real world performance tuning story from Denny Cherry (Blog|Twitter) this week, highlighting why it’s important to not get stuck into a particular way of doing soemthing.
- SQL Server Storage: Files and Filegroups Video - Another high quality and knowledge packed video here from Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter). Essential viewing for both the old and newer DBA.
- A Good DBA Doesn’t Exist - Bold proclamations from Tim Ford (Blog|Twitter). Do you agree? I can see the angle that Mr Ford is trying to work here but I certainly do not agree! If no one knows you are actually doing a good job then you can guarantee your career progression will be well, non-existent.
- CXPACKET? What’s That? And What’s Next? - Cooking up some CXPACKET Waits can be a recipe for disaster. Performance tuning head chef Michael J. Swart (Blog|Twitter) walks us through.
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
Misc Technology Posts
- Email obsession ‘will impact Christmas holidays’
- Fusion-io: SSDs are useless … Let’s build one
- Steve Jobs’ last design: New Apple HQ pics
Have a great weekend!