I hope you’ve had a great week!
I’ll be at SQLBits 8 this weekend in Brighton. It’s going to be a fantastic weekend packed full of SQL content and I hope to see you there.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- When Does Trustworthy Get Reset on a Mirror? – Some excellent DBA advice from Database Mirring expert Robert L. Davis(Blog|Twitter).
- Beware of advice from 3rd-party tools around dropping indexes – Some advice from Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter) on acting on indexing recommendations proposed by 3rd Party Tools .
- Installing Who is Active (A Month of Activity Monitoring, Part 4 of 30) – If you are not already using the awesome sp_WhoIsActive as part of your DBA toolkit then you should be ashamed because you’re missing a trick. This post is part of an excellent series currently underway by Adam Machanic (Blog|Twitter) looking at the design of this awesome procedure.
- SQL University – Performance Tuning Week – Here’s this weeks lesson from SQLRockstar Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter).
- Survey results: Common causes of performance problems – No amazing insights this time around from Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter) but were the results as you expected? Be sure to also take part in his next survey that looks at what’s your company doing for you, and vice versa?
- Ten Years – With his second post of the week, it’s a truly inspirational real life tale shared here from Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter). Who knows where your story will take you?
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Hangs on VMWare Server environment – She’s been a bit quiet of late, could this be a return to blogging form with this excellent DBA tip from
Janice Lee (Blog|Twitter).
- Stop database backup information from appearing in the Error Log – This is a great tip and is one that I have used in the environment I care for. Check out more DBA tips from
- 5 Tips for Attending conferences – Perfectly timed for SQLBits this weekend, here’s some excellent tips from Adrian Hills (Blog|Twitter) on how to make the most of your conference experience.
- Documenting Your SQL Agent Jobs – Everyone knows that The Best Database Administrators Document Everything and Brad Schulz (Blog) knows this, sharing a most brilliant method for documenting SQL Agent jobs.
- Updated Overlapping Statistics Scripts – An excellent script for your DBA toolbox here courtesy of Kendal Van Dyke (Blog|Twitter).
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
- SQLBits 8 – 7th – 9th April – Europe’s biggest SQL Server event will be at he seaside this time around. Only a few place remain now
- SOUTHAMPTON – Wed 13 April – User group evening of Neil Hambly.
- LEEDS – Wed 11 May – Leeds UG meeting – Resource Govenor and Policy Based Management with Chris Testa-O’Neill
- SOUTHAMPTON – Wed 11 May – User group evening of TBA.
- MANCHESTER – Thu 12 May – Planning for Stored Procedures with Munsoor Negyal and another speaker- Thursday night meeting at BSS
- SOUTHAMPTON – Wed 8 Jun – User group evening of TBA.
Misc Technology Posts
- Brain waves from thoughts of sounds used to move cursor
- Classic Commodore 64 lives again
- British bank shuts website until April 2012
That’s it for this week. What was your favourite post? If I’ve missed anything that you think deserves a mention then be sure to let me know! You can leave your comments below, send me an email and find me on Twitter(@JohnSansom).