It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Make sure you don’t miss this weekly round-up of SQL Server Links, community news and technology banter by Subscribing to the Blog Feed.
You can also Get posts delivered direct to your Inbox free via Email.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
SQL Server Links
That’s Actually a Duplicate Index - An excellent walk-through post from Jason Strate (Blog|Twitter), identifying the different types of duplicate indexes that you need to look out for when conducting performance analysis of your environments.
- You don’t have a Big Data problem - Straight talking from Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter), taking a sledgehammer to all this “trendy” Big Data talk.
- SQL Server 2012 Diagnostic Information Queries (March 2013) - Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter) shares an update to his excellent and freely available utility scripts.
- Slipstreamin’ Away - Practising a philosophy I am particularly fond of, Mike Fal (Blog|Twitter) shares some automation wisdom with us.
- switchoffset built-in function can cause incorrect cardinality estimate - Tales from the trenches with the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog).
- Execution Plan Analysis: The Mystery Work Table - Each week I am fortunate to become a tiny little bit better at reading, evaluating and most importantly understanding execution plans, and it’s all thanks to the incredible efforts of the talented author Mr Paul White (Blog|Twitter). Do your career a favour and add this super smart chap to your RSS Reader now folks.
- Build your own Virtual Lab - Matt Velic (Blog|Twitter) shares his eBook on how you can get started with your very own SQL2012 lab environment.
- Twitter Talk Theatre, Episode 1: “RAID is good enough!” - Twitter can be a fantastic source of insight and knowledge if you use it right. SQL community knowledge pooling in action, courtesy of your host Jen McCown (Blog|Twitter).
- New job, new computer, new software installs - Batman had his utility belt, as for the rest of us we have to make do with our tool belt. You all know that I love me some tools and I also enjoy learning about what other Data Professionals keep in their box of tricks. Here’s Jamie Thomson(Blog|Twitter) with his own desktop tool setup.
Community Forum Conversations
These are some of the discussions going on right now in the SQLBrit Community Forum
- First major mistake as a so-called DBA – booohooo!
- Are You a DBA or a DB Dev?
Misc. Technology Posts
- ‘Mainframe blowout’ knackered millions of RBS, NatWest accounts - TheRegister
- Programming’s not for you? How about thinking? Be empowered - Scott Hanselman
- Google Street View – a closer look - BBC News Technology
- Case Study on my two favorite technologies – Big Data & Xbox (Halo) - Shashank Pawar
- Evernote says security has been breached by hackers - BBC News Technology
- Virgin Media keeps mum as punters fume at crippled web access - TheRegister
Have you read a blog post this week that you really enjoyed and deserves a mention? Let me know in the comments and on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
If you enjoyed this weeks round-up of SQL content please show your support by sharing it. Click a share option at the top of the on site post.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!