Oct 5, 2012
Something for the Weekend – SQL Server Links 05/10/12
It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Make sure you don’t miss this weekly round-up of SQL Server Links, community news and technology banter by Subscribing to the Blog Feed.
You can also receive posts via Email.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- How To: Find Currently Running Long Sql Agent Jobs - A handy T-SQL Script here for the DBA tool-kit courtesy of Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter).
- Announcing the SQLskills Availability Group Demonstrator - Those super nice folks over at SQLSkills and in particular Jonathan Kehayias (Blog|Twitter), have kindly made this tool available for us all to learn and benefit from. It looks to be a great way to learn about and test working with Availability Groups.
- My Short Struggle With SQL Agent - A swift look at a particularly frustrating development constraint imposed by
Agent Smiththe SQL Server Agent, it’s Michael J. Swart (Blog|Twitter).
- The Trouble with Keys - Is that they can be used to open stuff, including a design can of worms. Jeremiah Peschka (Blog|Twitter) leads an interesting discussion on how to design for distributed identity management.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn AGs at StackOverflow - A very interesting (and educational) look at StackOverflow’s recent experience with AlwaysOn from Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter).
- Interviewing a DBA - Sharing his thoughts on why the typical technical Q & A screening is just not good enough, it’s Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter).
- SQL SERVER – Importance of User Without Login - A look at how this security feature (new to SQL2012) could be put to good use, courtesy of Pinal Dave (Blog|Twitter).
- I Bet Firefighters Would Make Great Dbas - Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter) on who do you really call to put out your fires.
- Learn to Speak DBA Slang - Essential info for surviving on the rough and tough DBA streets, it’s Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter).
- PASS First Timers Guide and Schedule – 2012 edition - Excellent advice and resources for all you PASS Summit first timers this year(including myself), courtesy of Jen McCown (Blog|Twitter).
- T-SQL Update Takes Much Longer Than The Matching Select Statement - An in depth look at an interesting recent support case from the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog).
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
Use the SQL Server Event Calendar to keep informed of all upcoming SQL Server events, User Groups, and training opportunities here in the UK. You can also add this calendar alongside you existing Google calendar.
Misc Technology Posts
- My Favourite Suggestions for New Speakers - Erin Stellato (Blog|Twitter)
- Facebook surpasses one billion user - BBC News Technology
- Drinking too much coffee can MAKE YOU BLIND - TheRegister
- High-def CCTV cameras risk backlash, warns UK watchdog - BBC News Technology
What was your favourite post? Read a blog this week that you think deserves a mention? Share your thoughts in the comments and find me on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
“If you enjoyed this weeks fix of SQL goodness the best way you can show your support is by sharing it. Please click a share option at the top of the on site post.”
Have a great weekend!