May 4, 2012
Something for the Weekend – SQL Server Links 04/05/12
It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
British readers can attest to the fact that the SQL community here has really taken off in the last couple of years, with awesome events becoming a regular feature on the Calendar thanks to the tremendous efforts of you and your local community champions. Two key elements are needed to kick start great community events, a few courageous sql community champions to take on the organisation, and you folks out there to get involved in the action.
SQL Relay 2012
Following on from the great success of last years event our community champions are at it again and this time their looking to host Full Day knowledge packed sessions for you to enjoy. You can find all the details over on the SQL Server FAQ site and follow the banter on the Facebook Page. Make sure you register early for an event near you to avoid disappointment. See you there (well in London at least ;-) )!
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- Are You Using The Right Sql Server Performance Metrics? - A more thoughtful look at making effective use of metrics from Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter).
- Query Optimizer Deep Dive – Part 1 - The man has been on a blogging rampage recently and all posts should be considered essential reading. Here’s the first part in this great series from Paul White (Blog|Twitter).
- Things Every DBA Should Know (But Most Don’t) - Did you know all of these? Sure me too. Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter) discusses.
- Cool free tool to parse and analyze SQLIO results - Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter) gives a shout out to David Klee (Blog|Twitter) for his work on this super handy tool.
- Modifying Tables Online – Part 5: Just One More Thing - A bonus post concludes the final part of this excellent series from Michael J. Swart (Blog|Twitter).
- varchar(max) in an Index - A fundamental lesson in problem solving that is so often overlooked due to over emphasis on the solution, shared courtesy of Erin Stellato (Blog|Twitter).
- Parallel Execution Plans Suck - Another query tuning gem from Paul White (Blog|Twitter).
- FILESTREAM on Server Core - An administrative tip sprinkled with a little PowerShell magic is a recipe for a tasty DBA treat, from Mike Fal (Blog|Twitter) this week.
- The Copy Only Backup… What is it and why use it? - DBA insights from Mitchell Bottel (Blog|Twitter).
- Things Every DBA Should Know – Webcast and Scripts - Continuing his earlier theme in this webcast it’s Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter), also with updates to sp_Blitz.
- A cautionary tale about grandfathering CAL licenses in SQL Server 2012 Enterprise - It’s all about the money, well it is to the bosses and this week Aaron Bertrand (Blog|Twitter) looks at the finer details to be considered for SQL2012.
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
Misc Technology Posts
- Preparation is key to a successful cloud deployment
- Facebook IPO values company at between $85bn and $95bn
- Can Amazon become the biggest platform peddler in the world?
- iPad ’4G’ claims face scrutiny from UK regulator
“If you enjoyed this weeks post of SQL goodness the best way you can show your support is by
sending me money sharing it so that even more folks can enjoy our fantastic community. Simply click one of the share options at the top of the on site post.”
Have a great weekend!