Aug 3, 2012
Something for the Weekend – SQL Server Links 03/08/12
It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Make sure you don’t miss this weekly round-up of SQL Server Links, community news and technology banter by Subscribing to the Blog Feed.
You can also receive posts via Email.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- Identifying and Correcting SQL Server Implicit Conversion - A high quality performance tuning walk-through from Jes Borland (Blog|Twitter). I see this issue within customer environments a lot so make sure you don’t get caught out.
- Execution Plans … In the Cloud! - An insightful look at what’s in store for you query plans in the cloud, courtesy of Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter).
- Why is SQL Injection still a problem? - A look at why SQL Injection is still a very real problem, it’s Denny Cherry (Blog|Twitter).
- Fast Storage in AWS - To the cloud this week with Jeremiah Peschka (Blog|Twitter). Yes, this is a not a SQL Server post but did I mention that I also work with Cassandra, Hadoop, MySQL, MongoDB and postGIS to name a few? Don’t make the mistake of being a one dimensional DBA and take advantage of excellent content such as this from your SQL peers writing off topic.
- Initialization of Merge Replication subscriber fails with primary key violation - Advanced replication troubleshooting from the Microsoft SQL Server Replication Support Team(Blog).
- Alerts with More than E-Mail - Some real world in the trenches DBA magic from Mike Hilwig (Blog|Twitter).
- Are you a functional DBA? - Jen McCown (Blog|Twitter) looks at what type of DBA you think you are.
- Sensitive Data Must Be Encrypted - Straight talking from Denny Cherry (Blog|Twitter) here and he quite rightly points out that sometimes you just have to take the hit of an outage.
- SQL Audit 201 – Creating an Audit Solution - Bringing all the pieces together for what has been an excellent and comprehensive post series.
- Notes to a DBA who wishes to know more - You can never have too many quality resources and Jen McCown (Blog|Twitter) shares some of her favourites here.
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
Use the SQL Server Event Calendar to keep informed of all upcoming SQL Server events, User Groups, and training opportunities here in the UK. You can also add this calendar alongside you existing Google calendar.
Misc Technology Posts
- US resists control of internet passing to UN agency
- Airline leaves customer on hold for 15 hours
- Hotmail to be replaced by Outlook.com in Microsoft switch
- How to Add A Custom Alias To Outlook.com
- Software bug flattens NYSE trader
What was your favourite post? Read a blog this week that you think deserves a mention? Share your thoughts in the comments and find me on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
“If you enjoyed this weeks fix of SQL goodness the best way you can show your support is by sharing it. Please click a share option at the top of the on site post.”
Have a great weekend!