It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Make sure you don’t miss this weekly round-up of SQL Server Links, community news and technology banter by Subscribing to the Blog Feed.
You can also receive posts via Email.
It’s the final links round-up before the SQL PASS Summit and I’m having a Friday afternoon panic trying to get everything done before I head off to Seattle. A hat tip goes to Chris McGowan (Blog|Twitter) for manning the fort whilst I was away on vacation. He did a sterling job as your host.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- CloudSeeder: CLR Stored Procedures For Creating CPU Pressure - Not for use in Production! A handy tool from Adam Machanic (Blog|Twitter) that allows you simulate CPU pressure for SQL Server testing.
- When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table - What with Hurricane Sandy being a big talking point, DR is also a hot topic. Paul Randal (Blog|Twitter) sharing some advice. [Got Billy Ocean on the brain?]
- Our Favorite (and Least Favorite) PASS Summit Moments [Video] - Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter) and team talk about their previous PASS Summit experiences and how you can get the most from your own time at the Summit.
- What caused that plan to go horribly wrong – should you update statistics? - A classic problem scenario from Kimberly Tripp (Blog|Twitter) and sharing the variety of methods that you could use to solve it. The choice of which, well of course it depends.
- Cardinality Estimation Bug with Lookups - Paul White (Blog|Twitter) demonstrates why you should watch out for poor cardinality estimates when a predicate is applied as part of a lookup.
- How To Quit Quitting - Don’t even bother to start? Of course not! Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter) with some professional development wisdom for you.
- Measuring “Observer Overhead” of SQL Trace vs. Extended Events - This question gets asked a lot. Here with the evidence is Jonathan Kehayias (Blog|Twitter) via SQLPerformance.com
- Don’t Be That PASS Summit Guy - Advice on what not to say at the PASS Simmit courtesy of Robert L. Davis(Blog|Twitter) and I’m pretty sure he really means it.
- Stored procedures, recompilation and .NetRocks - Another great performance tuning post from Kimberly Tripp (Blog|Twitter).
- Triggers On Views? What For? - Michael J. Swart (Blog|Twitter) explains in this excellent walk-through.
- Trade Offs: Code Quality - Jeremiah Peschka (Blog|Twitter) discusses paying down your technical debt. Where do you draw the line?
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
Use the SQL Server Event Calendar to keep informed of all upcoming SQL Server events, User Groups, and training opportunities here in the UK. You can also add this calendar alongside you existing Google calendar.
Misc Technology Posts
- Why I’m Returning My Microsoft Surface RT - Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter)
- Microsoft Surface RT Review - Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter)
- UK’s first 4G mobile service launched in 11 cities by EE - BBC News Technology
- A history of personal computing in 20 objects - TheRegister
What was your favourite post? Read a blog this week that you think deserves a mention? Share your thoughts in the comments and find me on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
“If you enjoyed this weeks fix of SQL goodness the best way you can show your support is by sharing it. Please click a share option at the top of the on site post.”
Have a great weekend!