Jul 1, 2011
Something for the Weekend – SQL Server Links 01/07/11
I hope you’ve had a great week!
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- Creating a new Login on Multiple Servers with the same SID using Powershell – The magic that is PowerShell from Jonathan Kehayias (Blog|Twitter) this week.
- Geek City: Where are LOBs stored? – This was a particularly interesting read for me following on from the internals class I attended last week. Kalen Delaney (Blog|Twitter) provides a T-SQL walk through.
- Reflecting on week long Training with SQLSkills - Reminiscing about the good times had by all, it’s Neil Hambly(Blog|Twitter).
- Validating a Cluster with Zero Downtime – Some excellent advice from the Failover Clustering and Network Load Balancing Team Blog (Blog). If you administer and deploy Clustered solutions you will want to read this.
- Understanding Benchmarks - Wes Brown (Blog|Twitter) discussing tools of the trade, where to turn for your information and probably the best movie of all time.
- How to run sp_browsereplcmds on a Distribution db backup – An interesting from the Microsoft SQL Server Replication Support Team(Blog). If you administer a replicated environment it’s worth trying this out on a test server to get comfortable getting your hands dirty with Replication internals.
- Where Do You Go for Authoritative SQL Server Best Practices? – Brad McGehee (Blog|Twitter) puts the question out there. He means apart from this blog of course
- Inappropriate usage of high isolation level isn’t just about blocking when it comes to performance - CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog).
- July 2011 Version of SQL Server 2008 Diagnostic Queries – With the latest edition of his awesome Diagnostic Queries it’s Glenn Berry (Blog|Twitter).
- Parallel Execution Plan Contexts/Runtime Instances – Query Optimizer internals from Connor Cunningham (Blog).
- Poking Around Inside Management Studio - Satisfying his curiosity this week Michael J. Swart (Blog|Twitter) goes poking around.
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
Use the SQL Server Event Calendar to keep informed of all upcoming SQL Server events, User Groups, and training opportunities here in the UK. You can also add this calendar alongside you existing Google calendar.
- KENT – Tue 5 July - A SqlServer focused event with not one but two sql server MVPs. Tony Rogerson & Chris Testa-O’Neill
- SOUTHAMPTON - Wed Jul 6 – SQL User group evening of Matt Whitfield (@atlantis_uk) and Alex Whittles (@PurpleFrogSys)
- CARDIFF – Thu Jul 14 – Cardiff User Group. Agenda TBA
- LONDON - Fri 15 Jul – SQL in the City
- LEEDS - Wed 20 Jul - Leeds UG meeting with Steve Powell
- LONDON - Wed 20 Jul - User Group Meeting with Neil Hambly, Alex Whittles, Avanade
- MANCHESTER – Thu 21 Jul - Manchester UG meeting at BSS with Jen Stirrup and Nicholas Colebourn
Misc Technology Posts
- Security researchers discover ‘indestructible’ botnet
- Microsoft: Office 365 outages ‘will’ happen
- Google+ challenges Facebook in social network battle
That’s it for this week. What was your favourite post? If I’ve missed anything that you think deserves a mention then be sure to let me know! You can leave your comments below, send me an email and find me on Twitter(@JohnSansom).