It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Make sure you don’t miss this weekly round-up of SQL Server Links, community news and technology banter by Subscribing to the Blog Feed.
Get SFTW posts delivered direct to your Inbox free via Email.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- How Does the Cloud Change a Systems Architect’s Job? - Buck Woody (Blog|Twitter) shares his thoughts on how the Cloud (Distributed Systems) impacts the role of Systems Architects. Valuable insight for all Data Professionals, irrespective of their role.
- Best Practices + Table Partitioning: Merging Boundary Points - One of the mysteries of SQL Server Partitioning, finally revealed and explained courtesy of Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter).
- Common Table Expressions (CTEs), Window Functions, and Views - An excellent walk-through of a recent performance troubleshooting case from Jonathan Kehayias (Blog|Twitter).
- Database Filegroups: Just Like Seatbelts But With Less Chafing - Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter) on why Doctors recommend you wear seatbelts, the health of your Filegroups and the birth of the “connect community”.
- NOLOCK is not a turbo button - Amen to that! This weeks post from Denny Cherry (Blog|Twitter) struck a chord with me as I see this horrid practice far too often in the field.
- When a Query Isn’t Quite a Query - When it’s written by the Dev team? Jeremiah Peschka (Blog|Twitter) on adapting your T-SQL coding to the Hive.
- AppDomain unloading messages flooding the SQL Server error log - Real world customer support cases and how their solved, courtesy of the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog).
- Optimizing T-SQL queries that change data - Insights into update query optimization from Mr Paul White (Blog|Twitter).
- SQL Server Table Partitioning Tutorial: Videos and Scripts - More excellent partitioning content from Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter).
- Azure SQL Database Execution Plan Differences - Continuing his insightful investigations into SQL Azure administration it’s Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter).
- Matters of Subject - In part two of his excellent series on presenting, Mike Fal (Blog|Twitter) shares advice to help you choose the right subject for your own presentation.
- Understanding how Failover Clustering Recovers from Unresponsive Resources - Juicy detailed clustering knowledge from the FCNLB Team Blog (Blog)
SQLBrit Community Forum
These are some of the discussions going on right now in the SQLBrit Community Forum
- Share Your Favourite Performance Scripts
- The SQL Brit Community – DropBox
- Study Resources – Mirroring / Clustering?
- What SQL Server version(s) and configurations are you using?
- New comer from LA area with lots of questions
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
Use the SQL Server Event Calendar to keep informed of all upcoming SQL Server events, User Groups, and training opportunities here in the UK. You can also add this calendar alongside you existing Google calendar.
Misc Technology Posts
- Reg Hardware Awards 2012: The Winners… - TheRegister
- Microsoft launches Office 2013 software suite - BBC News Technology
- Customer service rep fired for writing game that mocks callers - TheRegister
- Smartphone sensors reveal security secrets - BBC News Technology
What was your favourite post? Read a blog this week that you think deserves a mention? Share your thoughts in the comments and find me on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
“If you enjoyed this weeks fix of SQL goodness the best way you can show your support is by sharing it. Please click a share option at the top of the on site post.”
Have a great weekend!