Good reads from around the Web.
I’ve been getting quite a few emails from you lately asking about blogging and how to get started with your own blog ventures. Things like what technology and theme do I use being some of the more common questions. This is a wonderful thing. The fact that you are interested in getting involved and sharing content with the community is absolutely fantastic and I would love to see some of your work here on the weekly links round-up someday.
I started blogging because I was inspired to do so by a SQL community member and if I can do the same for you, well that would just be amazing, seriously. It would be like the SQL community giving cycle coming full circle.
Going forward I’ll be publishing occasional posts on blogging. Sharing some of my experiences, lessons learned, technology recommendations and the like with you. Getting started with blogging is actually quite straightforward, the hard part begins once you get going with things and that’s where I would like to help. Keep an eye on the blog for more on this.
Oh and the theme I’m currently using is the Genesis Framework. If you’re thinking about starting your own blog, this is without a doubt the framework you should use. Everything else is sub-standard in comparison.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Technology Stuff. Enjoy….
From the SQL Server blogs
- DELETE operations on tables - Klaus Aschenbrenner (Blog|Twitter)
- Why Your Slow SQL Server Doesn’t Need a SQL Consultant (or Does It?) - Brent Ozar (Blog|Twitter)
- How Salary is Determined - Chris Shaw(Blog|Twitter)
- The CASE Statement and Performance - Grant Fritchey (Blog|Twitter)
- Why Central Merge Subscribers Are Not Supported - Microsoft SQL Server Replication Support Team(Blog)
- Why is Your SQL Server Slow? All-for-one and One-for-all - Robert L. Davis(Blog|Twitter)
- The Evolution of SQL Server Instrumentation - Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter)
- The Strange Story About the MERGE that Killed the Cluster - Matan Yungman (Blog|Twitter)
- My favorite lesser known features of SSMS - Russ Thomas(Blog|Twitter)
- How to count the number of rows in a table in SQL Server - Jes Borland (Blog|Twitter)
SQL Community Conversations
What your SQL community peers are talking about this week. Join the conversation..
- Do You Work Remotely - Many of you do it would seem and with some particularly unique arrangements.
- The Drive and Determination - Folks talk about what drives and motivates them as a Data Professionals.
- London 70-462 exam centre - Test centres can be a little hit and miss. Members share their experiences.
Other Stuff Worth Reading
- If you had to start over, what technologies would you learn in 2014? - Scott Haneselman
- Facebook to buy messaging app WhatsApp for $19bn - BBC News Technology
- The Top 10 Most Annoying Exam-Takers - Born To Learn
- Complaint-Driven Development - Coding Horror
- Google unveils smartphone with 3D sensors - BBC News Technology
- How do we know if mobile apps are secure? - Scott Haneselman
If you have an idea, general feedback or just want a chat then please get in touch.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend.
Like these links? Subscribe to get them every week!